Moon Dust - Spacey/electronic/progressive track

Alphaflux

Hi guys, I've been scrubbing away at this track for a few days and I was wondering if I could get some feedback/constructive criticism. Bear in mind this isn't the next big hit or something to grind dat booty to, but hopefully it's still interesting and relevant.

How does the mix sound? Any sections you like/don't like? It changes a few times throughout so please do listen to it all if you're willing to give feedback.

https://soundcloud.com/alpha-flux/moon-dust
(embedding no longer works, sorry they removed Flash support from Soundcloud)

Appreciate you guys stopping by :D

I like this. Cool sounds with a lot of movement and intricate parts that come and go, like good electronic music should be. I like the first keyboard breakdown but it went on a little long. The later one > 4:00 seemed a bit of a tangent. Generally, I thought the composition lost focus in the last minute or two. Good ambiance. I liked the sticks. I thought the synth drums were a bit too forward, snare especially. Unless you're doing dance music, there's no reason to have the drums front and center. In an airy composition like this, they are going to cut through anyway.

I hope you'll listen and comment on some of the other tracks on the forum.

Thanks Robus, I think you're right about a lot of your points. Towards the end (~4:00) it was more of a case of wanting to reuse the earlier melody as I felt it wasn't featured for very long, so the build up was mostly trying to reintegrate the two parts together. The gaffa tape is very visible in that section! The drums I wanted it to have a pulse and to push the heavier parts forward so it is quite in your face - although perhaps the parallel compression could do with dialing back a tad.

The key change at the end still weirds me out a bit, might try reworking it and the sections you mentioned later tonight if I have time.

Thanks for listening and the advice

Right away, the panning feels pretty unbalanced. The melody part on the right is much more sparse than the rhythm section on the left, so the whole thing leans heavily left.
Once that section ends, it balances out much more.

Several of the "heavy" sections could probably stand to be a little longer. It feels like it builds to all of these ideas but then abandons them.

The key change is pretty cool. Not something you hear often in the EDM genres.

I also want to call it a "mess compositionally", but that's entirely because of the other thread. :D

Mix sounds good to me, cool song. Really like the intro, feels like boarding a rocket ship.

Right away, the panning feels pretty unbalanced. The melody part on the right is much more sparse than the rhythm section on the left, so the whole thing leans heavily left.
Once that section ends, it balances out much more.

Several of the "heavy" sections could probably stand to be a little longer. It feels like it builds to all of these ideas but then abandons them.

The key change is pretty cool. Not something you hear often in the EDM genres.

I also want to call it a "mess compositionally", but that's entirely because of the other thread. :D

Thanks for the feedback, yep you are right! I do like its oddities but I feel it is three tracks jumbled into one, so once my health has improved and i'm not coughing and wheezing everywhere (too much information perhaps :P ) I'm going to build on the separate ideas and make them into their own individual tracks. More spacey and hopefully I can dot in some samples from Apollo or something to keep interests up.

It feels like it builds to all of these ideas but then abandons them.

+1. cool ideas, but they drop off too soon and into something entirely different. i mean, the transitions are cool and appropriate, but this could be a longer track that goes into each piece a little more. 3:49, actually you stayed with the arrangement there and went back into the previous part, so i can't say you dropped it all the time. Mixwise, sounds fine to me. I hardly ever can comment usefully on EDM unless something is extremely apparent.

EDM meets Dream Theater? :)

I find this track quite good. I really don't find it right for myself to give judgment on the arrangement, but I do feel I lost interest towards the end. That is just my opinion tho.

I do feel that the kick drum is just too busy when it comes in. Maybe a bit more tact in bringing in the drum parts that move the song instead of making an abrupt change in the feel? IDK. Just a thought.

Back