Moody rocker - Live performance in one take

FadeToMuffins

Hey guys. Usually when I record my band we do it one instrument at a time, but I was in a hurry to get a scratch track I could write my vocals to so I just threw some 57's in front of the guitar players' cabs, took the DI out feed on my bass player's head, threw up a pair of SM81's as drum overheads (placed pretty close to minimize the bleed, which you can still kinda hear at times) and threw up one dynamic mic on each piece of my drummer's kit. I wasn't expecting much, but the performance was so tight, and things ended up sounding so good that I worked with the mix and ended up getting something I'm pretty proud of. The kick is replaced with a sample, and the snare is blended with a sample. The toms are also replaced with samples, BUT they are samples taken from the drummer's actual kit, so it's almost the same thing, right? :) The left guitars were a Marshall Mode4 into a Marshall straight cab, and the right guitars were a line6 fancy pedal thing going into the power amp of a JCM2000 and into a Randall slant cab. I have no idea what the bass was :) The vocals are me recorded with a Shure SM7 straight into my focusrite Saffire48.

Let me know what you guys think. I'm trying to make this mix sound as good as possible as I really want to promote this song.

Lyrics to Drown by Urijah

edit: Forgot to mention, there was one overdub, and it was the rhythm guitar part for when the other guitar player plays his lead part.

Great song, FTM!
The mix sonds basically very good, I thought I was hearing that voice somewhere in the background in the chorus, that needs to be louder, it's hardly audible. Otherwise sounds very good to me. Nice work for a live take.

Pretty damn good for a live take. I think the mix is a little sizzly in the high end, but just barely. Taming the highs of the overheads and vocal sibilance might help. Great snare sound. Well done overall.

Back