Monster Cable for source only?

Sir Lee

Would it make that big of a difference to use a Monster cable for mic/instr. to pre-amp, But all other cable (cheap) Hosa from pre-amp to patchbay, patchbay to breakout box to soundcard.
I just hooked up a patchbay and was wondering if using better cable for the source to pre-amp connection would
make that big a difference.
Not concerned with radio play quality, Just want to know.

They say that is the best place for it.

Who are they? Just people.....:)

Anyway, yes, your best cable should be between any mic or pickup and a preamplifier because the job of the preamplifier is to boost the signal, and the signal getting to it is crucial for how it does it's job.

Once the preamplifier has did it's job of boosting the signal to a line level signal, that very same line level signal will travel down modest wire pretty darn well without losing much sonic clarity that you could hear.

Now, about that Hosa stuff. Great stuff on a budget because it is cheap and get's you connected. But, you should really start to replace it as you can afford to. One thing is that Hosa cable is very flimsy, and won't last as long. Second, you can't repair it very easily. Third, it really is a bit noisier then like Mogami wire, which is the standard wire you will find in most recording studios.

Good day!

Thanks Sound Cracker,
Kinda what i figured, Just did'nt want to blow $75.00 on two cables if it was'nt gonna make that big of a difference
Bought the cables the other night, It sounds much better than i thought. I will be replacing the blowsa cable one piece at a time, Soon.
Thanks again,
P. Taylor

Yes....

I was very impressed with the better detail I got with Monster Studio Pro 1000 when I purchased some long ago. I have some top end Belden that sounds very nice too.

Good day!

I went with Monster 500 to connect my mixer to my CDRW (+4 line level) and never looked back at the price difference between this and (no way in hell!) Hosa. I've seen too many Hosa cables just start getting intermittent at the wrong time and the $10 I would've saved (this was a very short pair of cables) wouldn't pay for the headache medication required when the shitty cable failed at an inopportune moment. And you can't even put a price on losing a one-off performance recording live other than your time and gas money dragging your rig to the show.
Again- $10 surely won't cover it.
In a patch bay situation you need a lot more cable and shopping around for some decent stuff at a reasonable price makes a lot of sense.

Back