Mono/stereo problem in recording and afterwards!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Btw, I have already recorded 3 cds with this double tracking that you call pseudo-stereo.

I just want to remaster them by making them full stereo. Drums and vocals are fulls stereo. But guitars are not.

Thanks for the answers so far.

See you later.

Can you answer to my question? As I said when I try to make stereo, theres already a 2nd guitar onto the channel that receives the altered 1st guitar(reverbed, equalized etc). So I dont hear anything from the altered guitar.
Can you not see that doing what you are doing... is not working? Likely totally due to not simply recording them mono in the first place! What you're doing, what and why it's going to shiit, is not worth even trying to unravel, let along sort this out for some 'work around solution.
For one a stereo track doesn't even have a pan control. What it has is a balance control.
'Panning' to the right with content only on the left = no signal remains.
Just one of several things that might be going wrong.
You're seeming rather unwilling to step back and consider the help that's been offered. You may be in for some trouble shooting then to sort it out your way.

Btw, I have already recorded 3 cds with this double tracking that you call pseudo-stereo.

I just want to remaster them by making them full stereo. Drums and vocals are fulls stereo. But guitars are not.

Thanks for the answers so far.

See you later.
Wait I'm kungfu'sed then. Everything is working just fine.. or?

I dont understand why you say theres a difference if I record in mono or stereo file, since one way or another we will have one channel full of music. If I record in mono, only a channel will appear. If I record in stereo file, I will also have a 2nd channel(this one empty) in which I can pan or copy the 1st and make what you call "stereo".
If you record the file as a mono file in cooledit, the pan control will move the sound across the stereo field. When you use a stereo file with sound only on one side, it doesn't behave the same way. Because of that, you have started copy/pasting things to add sound to the other side. Why would you do all that instead of recording it the correct way in the first place? If you record to a mono file, the mixer will work the way it should and everything will be so much easier and make a lot more sense.

Can you answer to my question? As I said when I try to make stereo, theres already a 2nd guitar onto the channel that receives the altered 1st guitar(reverbed, equalized etc). So I dont hear anything from the altered guitar.
That's because you are trying to multitrack with a program that is not designed to multitrack. If you use cool edit, then you can set up the monitoring any way you like. You aren't using the correct tools for what you are trying to do. What you are doing is like trying to tighten a screw with a coin instead of a screwdriver. Yes you can make it work, but you would be so much farther ahead if you just used the appropriate tool... especially since you have it.

Lets say I make the reverb of 1st guitar(left channel) onto the right channel. This is what you call stereo. But theres already a 2nd guitar onto the right channel, so I cant hear the reverbed altered 1st guitar on the right channel, because the 2nd guitar is louder.
I'm not sure I see the problem.

Is it really separate? Can you give an example of a song? I think I hear the same guitar in both speakers.

Hmm, you might be right that they make tricks to fool you.
Here, this is two guitars playing the same part panned hard. With mono solo's in the center.

There are also almost 20 tracks of vocals. The main vocal is actually sung in three part harmony and panned center. The other two parts are lower in the mix to add depth and power.

This song is also two rhythm guitar parts with mono harmonies panned center flying in when the part comes up

Those songs were both stereo mixes made from mono tracks.

This was actually recorded in stereo, using two microphones.

And.. if it's that you have and want to use these stereo tracks; import them into the DAW, convert them to mono ---> enjoy mixing

Thats a pretty cool tune, and I'm not generally a metal fan. (Although I have recorded some)

I liked the sound and more so the groove of that one.

I realize I'm off topic, but I'm done with that clusterfuck. :D

I told you it has no meaning. A simple program called Soundblaster Creative Recorder where you hit record and you record wavs! Lol, that simple! I choose the best quality, wav stereo 44100khz

I also run it on Win98! Lol! Is that a problem?

If you choose stereo recording, while what you record is mono, theres no problem. You'll have a stereo file with one channel full and the other empty.

Well that's your problem, you are not using a true audio DAW, just a sound recorder that is really for recording gaming.

If you record the file as a mono file in cooledit, the pan control will move the sound across the stereo field. When you use a stereo file with sound only on one side, it doesn't behave the same way. Because of that, you have started copy/pasting things to add sound to the other side. Why would you do all that instead of recording it the correct way in the first place? If you record to a mono file, the mixer will work the way it should and everything will be so much easier and make a lot more sense.

Im currently on the run.

Thanks. I will check it out later and tell you! Btw can I also convert the stereo file to mono instead of recording from the start?

That's because you are trying to multitrack with a program that is not designed to multitrack. If you use cool edit, then you can set up the monitoring any way you like. You aren't using the correct tools for what you are trying to do. What you are doing is like trying to tighten a screw with a coin instead of a screwdriver. Yes you can make it work, but you would be so much farther ahead if you just used the appropriate tool... especially since you have it.

I use CoolEdit not Cretive recorder. It multitracks perfectly in multisession mode(F12 KEY)

I'm not sure I see the problem.

I will explain later but before this I will check what you say with the mono file.

Also I can send you some files with dropsend.

See you!

I will report RFR to the admin.

Please whoever doesnt want to help, move to another topic.

Go ahead report me. I HAVE been trying to help.
It's just that you are too pig headed to listen to anything ANY of us are trying to tell you, and you seem to have no basic concept of multitrack recording. Simple things like the basic concept of stereo seem to elude you.

I mean really, how much help are you expecting??

Get a proper interface, a proper DAW, and study all the information available on this forum.

Many have shown saintly patience with you and have done their best to try to answer your questions and help you out.

You might be able to convert a stereo track to a mono one, but i havent seen cooledit in 15 years and i cant remember how to do it in that program.

I understand that you want to fix the tracks you already have. But next time you start recording, use mono tracks.

Go ahead report me. I HAVE been trying to help.

Thanks for any help, for example what you said about copying reverb to the other channel.
But you seem to be angry if somebody disagrees with your concept of sound, recording, production. People have different views about meaning of words.

So you dont need to bother your head.

You might be able to convert a stereo track to a mono one, but i havent seen cooledit in 15 years and i cant remember how to do it in that program.

I understand that you want to fix the tracks you already have. But next time you start recording, use mono tracks.

Hello! How are you?

Read here my experiment with mono and stereo files. Things work both with your and mine method.

I copied the left channel(the one having the guitar, the right was empty) of the stereo file into a new MONO file.

A mono file with a CENTERED sound, was created.

I went to the multitrack view(the one where you make the mix of the tracks) and I inserted the mono track. I saw the "pan" choice in a small box of the track. I panned the sound where I want(left or right). So it worked the way you give.

But I noticed that I can pan, even if I use a stereo file. In Cool Edit 2.1 you go to the Effects menu and choose Amplitude. Then a new menu open and you choose Channel Mixer. Here I can pan the guitar of the left channel where I want. There are presets like "wide stereo field" or "wider stereo field".

I can choose the percentage of the left and right channel in the left speaker
and also
the percentage of the left and right channel in the right speaker.

So panning works also in stereo, instead of mono files. I guess your method is quicker and simpler.

Now...I want to send you a private message.

Hello Farview.

I tried to send 2 times a private message to you, but it doesnt say "it was sent" and theres nothing on the send folder.

Did you get the mail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back