mono only on playback

Tony-bobs

To start off, I am running a MOTU 8pre into my hp laptop with Reaper. I am using the headphone out for monitoring. While recording and after rendering a track, I get perfectly fine stereo sound, but if I try to play anything back after the tracks have been laid down, i get left only. panning does nothing at all. What have I done wrong that I loose stereo functionality?

Sounds like you're recording mono sources to stereo tracks.

Don't do that = No problem.

Both sides does NOT equal "stereo" -- Stereo is the DIFFERENCE between left and right.

When i started recording with sonar 7xl I had this same problem. I did a little research and came up with this.

Anytime I record with a mic, like my guitars vocals etc, the track will be recorded in stereo, but I will only hear it in mono. There is actually a "convert to mono" icon if you right click the track you just recorded. When i convert my tracks to mono then I have sound from both speakers. this actually works out for me since i pan everything anyway. Maybe there might be something similar in your sequencer as to fix your problem?????

But you're doubling *everything* -- System resources, drive space, DSP drag, *everything* -- You're NOT "recording in stereo" -- ONE SOURCE = MONO. Period.

Pan anything you want whenever you want - But 1 = 1. 1 does not = 2.

When you have "sound from both speakers" YOU HAVE MONO.

Stereo is THE DIFFERENCE between left and right.

But you're doubling *everything* -- System resources, drive space, DSP drag, *everything* -- You're NOT "recording in stereo" -- ONE SOURCE = MONO. Period.

Pan anything you want whenever you want - But 1 = 1. 1 does not = 2.

When you have "sound from both speakers" YOU HAVE MONO.

Stereo is THE DIFFERENCE between left and right.

But shouldn't I get something different when I try to pan things? And why would I get stereo, or at least sound from both speakers, while recording/after rendering the track?

When you're panning things, you're making a difference between left and right.

If you record a mono source to a stereo track, you're going to record either left OR right. Technically, that's a difference between left and right...

If you record a mono source to a mono track (which is generally how it works 99% of the time), you'll "get sound out of both sides" (which has nothing to do with the signal being stereo) but it'll be the same sound. Which is fine - It's a mono signal. That's how it works.

People have to stop thinking in "Left" and "right" and start thinking in "1" and "2" and "3" and (etc.).

When i started recording with sonar 7xl I had this same problem. I did a little research and came up with this.

Anytime I record with a mic, like my guitars vocals etc, the track will be recorded in stereo, but I will only hear it in mono. There is actually a "convert to mono" icon if you right click the track you just recorded. When i convert my tracks to mono then I have sound from both speakers. this actually works out for me since i pan everything anyway. Maybe there might be something similar in your sequencer as to fix your problem?????

You're assigning a stereo input.Assign a single input and you'll get a mono track.Converting to mono is an unnecessary step.
You hear it in "mono" because it's just two of the same track.

Back