Mono monitoring.

baniak

Okay,

Here's the deal - I don't have wads of cash to spend right now, but I need some sort of monitoring solution that is nice.

So, I was wondering if it is a not-entirely-dumb idea to save money and just buy a single quality monitor to check up on the sound of the mix. And then buy a second monitor at a later date.

I would check stereo imaging on headphones and speaker systems, etc.

How bad would that be for:

a) the sound quality of the mix - I figure not since a bunch of Beatles' albums were mixed that way.

b) the stereo image of the mix - I figure headphones/ regular stereo speakers would give just as good an idea of stereo as monitors.

c) me getting accustomed to mixing in stereo in the future - since this would be my first monitor setup would I get too used to this and then mess up my life?

Thanks.

I guess it could work. It might actually be a good form of mixing discipline to learn to work in a mono environment. Mono does not affect the actual frequency response or 'sound quality' in any way so you shouldn't suffer from that standpoint.

If I was to only monitor in mono than I would only mix in mono. Usually poor panning is the least of a newbie's mixing problems. If you can make a great mono mix than stereo is easy.

Back