Monitors

drum_

I'm getting mostly money for Christmas and it's all going towards my home studio build.
Can some one recommend some cheap but quality monitors, is there any budget monitors that shoot way beyond the price?
I've seen the M- Studiophile Av40 and they seem pretty decent, in a couple of reviews I've read

also whats your view on mixing through headphones. i'm personally against using headphones for an entire mix not entirely sure why and have had serious debates with a friend about it.

How much money are you actually willing to spend?

I know the AV40s run around $150 for a pair, and they're not superb. For $300 you can get a much nicer pair, the KRK 5s are pretty popular for budget monitors. There's also the Alesis MKIIs, a friend of mine bought those, and sound pretty darn good.

The KRK 6's are a great first choice. You'll have to stretch to like $400 though! The 5's are good too, but people often say they lack a realistic low-frequency output since they are so small. Personally I wouldn't know, because I've never tried them (I started with the 6's).

I'd say about £130 not a lot i know but guess i could push to a little more
i had a look and Alesis MKII are just under at £129
What your view on Passive versus Active
I know there's arguments for both sides

Last edited:
I don't know about the passive versions, but i had the alesis m1 active mk2s and was so glad to get rid of them.

I have a little pair of £40 hifi speakers that I'd use any day over the Alesis.

Yes, I've heard great things about the KRK 6's as well as best bang for your buck. I'm going to buy a pair in the next few weeks. Google shopping gives you the best prices, and they go for 200 new on B&H (reputable source) and 180 new on ebay. Seems like a safe bet! Worst comes to worst, resell on ebay/ craigslist for 150 and get something better.

Yes, I've heard great things about the KRK 6's as well as best bang for your buck. I'm going to buy a pair in the next few weeks. Google shopping gives you the best prices, and they go for 200 new on B&H (reputable source) and 180 new on ebay. Seems like a safe bet! Worst comes to worst, resell on ebay/ craigslist for 150 and get something better.

Just making sure you know that they're 150-200 EACH ;) But you prob already did! Just better safe than sorry :D

Back