Monitors

knightknife

Ok, so why do you need monitors? What's the difference between just hooking some speakers up to the output on your computer or buying expensive monitors? What are the benefits?

Ok, so why do you need monitors? What's the difference between just hooking some speakers up to the output on your computer or buying expensive monitors? What are the benefits?

1. If you hook speakers up to your computer, you are depending on whatever sound card you have (depending on what you have, may be sub-par). That's why people usually "monitor" what's going in, or being recorded, through the interface (has a card built for accurately "hearing" what's being recorded).

2. Because of money limitations, and the fact that I'm no pro, I use the best set of stereo headphones I could afford as my monitors. However, the sound is going directly into my ears, and place some limitations on hearing certain things accurately, so that is my starting point. Then, when I think I like what I hear, I make an mp3, and play it on various other speakers (car, home stereo). Each one brings out a different element, and lets me "hear" it in general use terms.

3. Do you think there's a difference to hearing something on a clock radio vs. a good home stereo system, with all the components that bring out the true sounds, such as bass? It doesn't have to be the most expensive thing around. It's really about getting enough of the true sound so that you can work with it the way you need or want to.

Hope this helps.:)

Back