Monitors

jman1986

Ok, i am in such a weird mood when it comes to monitors, WHAT THE HELL ONES SHOULD I GET?!

I have been told from a few people about what to get.
i am looking for some good active cheap monitors.

I WANT TO GET(people say not to get these):
M-audio bx8a's - $500
BEHRINGER TRUTH B2031A - $360 on ebay

WHAT THEY SAY I SHOULD GET:
yamaha hs50m - $200 (ea)

what do you suggest? i am lovin the look of the bx8a's thou :(
Any other suggestions of different kinds of active monitors is welcome!

Definitely don't go by the look of the monitors, it won't reflect in your final mix. Judge by sound quality, which is difficult if you don't listen. I have heard great things about the Yamahas, but have never owned any myself. I can recommend the Alesis M1Active series, as they sound phenomenal and if you are into looks for somereason they are pretty bad a**. They have a couple of different options pricewise, I went with the 520's, but they make a usb set too if thats what you long fore. good luck
James

you have to get a few pairs in and see which ones you like the sound of, in your room, and which ones help you get the job done fastest and easiest. you can't judge this in a music store or online. and you sure as hell can't judge it on looks.

picking monitors is like picking pants. what fits your buddy might not fit you. you've gotta try em on to see if they fit. so get a couple pairs from a store that allows returns, and float a credit card for a month. return the ones you don't like and keep the set that works.

you say "good cheap active monitors". you need to pick two of those adjectives b/c you're not going to get all three. so it's either "good cheap", "good active" or "cheap active". once you resign yourself to this fact, life gets easier. ;)

i'd avoid the yamaha hs50's--i can't use 5in speakers as my main reference...besides, the HS80s sound a whole lot better to my ears. i find the behringers to be extremely strident, tinny and hollow, and the BX8a's to have over-inflated bass and a really hard high end. if i had to pick it would be the BX8a's....but i'd have to wrestle with em. still, i know folks who make good use the BX8s and the "truths", so YMMV.

My personal monitor quest came to an end when i got a pair of Event ASP8s. They're the ones that work for me in my space. I know what i hear on them, i'm going to hear on other systems, especially since i've had a couple years to get to know them pretty well.

it looks like your budget is in the $400-500 range? i'd suggest you save a few more pennies and try to find a used pair of mackie 824's. you can often find them in the $600-700 range. of course, i don't really care for the mackies much either, but they're a LOT better than the options above.

cheers,
wade

Hey man ive been in the same boat recently and finally narrowed it down to the bx8as and krk rp8 g2s.

One of my friends that has used the bx8as for 4 years now said they are great and he is just now hearing a little distortion in one of the horns, but mind you this is 4 years later.

...that being said I asked him which monitors I should get and he actually recomended the krks, he said he heard they were a little more flat sounding which will help your mixes in the end.

The deciding factor for me (being a poor boy) was that I found a place that sells the pair for $400...so I couldnt pass it up!

http://www.frontendaudio.com/KRK_RP8G2_Rokit_G2_Two_way_Active_Powered_Monitors_p/2975.htm

We are talking studio monitors, right?

I am using Samson Resolv 50a Bi Amped active studio monitors which are excellent and as accurate as any other studio desk monitor out there IMO and priced phenomenonally low for a set of monitors of this caliber ($149.95) at Sam Ash.
they sounded every bit as good as the Roland DS 30 A bi amped monitors I had which were $250.more than the Samsons

www.Americanmusical.com has the Samson Resolv 60a on sale for $179.95 which has the 6" speaker opposed to the 50a which has a 5" speakers.
I opted for the 50a because they have a smaller footprint than the 60a

Hey man ive been in the same boat recently and finally narrowed it down to the bx8as and krk rp8 g2s.

One of my friends that has used the bx8as for 4 years now said they are great and he is just now hearing a little distortion in one of the horns, but mind you this is 4 years later.

...that being said I asked him which monitors I should get and he actually recomended the krks, he said he heard they were a little more flat sounding which will help your mixes in the end.

The deciding factor for me (being a poor boy) was that I found a place that sells the pair for $400...so I couldnt pass it up!

http://www.frontendaudio.com/KRK_RP8G2_Rokit_G2_Two_way_Active_Powered_Monitors_p/2975.htm

I considered buying a set of the KRK monitors so I went to GC to have a listen and honestly I was not that impressed; number one the sound quality is no better than what I already have and number two is they are sold individually and one cost as much as what you can pay for a pair of Bi amped monitors of the same sound quality.
they look cool though.

I considered buying a set of the KRK monitors so I went to GC to have a listen and honestly I was not that impressed; number one the sound quality is no better than what I already have

Im what you call a n00b in this whole world of recording, but Im pretty sure for recording you don't want a monitor that makes your music sound better than it is...but Im not here to argue my point, just to help the OP with my recent situation because I'm a beginner myself and literally just got my monitors yesturday.

So I thought Id share how I came about my decision..:o

I considered buying a set of the KRK monitors so I went to GC to have a listen and honestly I was not that impressed; number one the sound quality is no better than what I already have and number two is they are sold individually and one cost as much as what you can pay for a pair of Bi amped monitors of the same sound quality.
they look cool though.

Most high end monitors are usually sold individually.

I've got a pair of Event ALP5's and while the detail is awesome, the low end is a guessing game. And this was in a treated room. I would suggest looking at monitors larger than 5"

peace.

I second going with 8s, 5s wont cut it if you doing stuff with any bass (thats why I had to upgrade my monitors)

Hey Jman, I checked up on those behringers and they look pretty solid, a lot of good reviews, so whether you go with those, the krks, or the bx8as, I dont think you can go wrong, its just a matter of the prices now.

Good luck with everything!

Im what you call a n00b in this whole world of recording, but Im pretty sure for recording you don't want a monitor that makes your music sound better than it is...but Im not here to argue my point, just to help the OP with my recent situation because I'm a beginner myself and literally just got my monitors yesturday.

So I thought Id share how I came about my decision..:o
:confused:
I am not a noob, and that is the whole purpose in editing is to make the mix sound as good as you can make it sound, Period.
You need need to have an acurate presentation of the the whole sound spectrum when editing and mastering a recording which is the number 1 purpose for control room monitoring

I am not saying anything bad about KRK monitors, all I am saying is krk sound no better to me than what I already have which is low end stuff, If I am going to pay double of what I already have I want what I pay for.

Most high end monitors are usually sold individually.
O-Rly
[/URL]

I hardly consider KRK to be high end JMO.... JBL, Dynaudio, ADAM, Tannoy OTOH:cool:
I've got a pair of Event ALP5's and while the detail is awesome, the low end is a guessing game. And this was in a treated room. I would suggest looking at monitors larger than 5"

peace.
Hmmm never had any experiences with that brand the little Samsons I have handles 40Hz nicely a lot of stuff I mix is hardcore/metal which the low B is used quite a bit and it cuts through very good on these 5" drivers, a I would love to have 8 Monitors but i need the space more right now;)

I second going with 8s, 5s wont cut it if you doing stuff with any bass (thats why I had to upgrade my monitors)

Hey Jman, I checked up on those behringers and they look pretty solid, a lot of good reviews, so whether you go with those, the krks, or the bx8as, I dont think you can go wrong, its just a matter of the prices now.

Good luck with everything!

I agree and disagree yet I would rather have 8's I am a bassist and I play 5 string and these 5' s handle the low B very well Good to mix and edit with anyway no they are not going to thump you in the chest like a set of 8's will
but to say 5"s are unusable is a blanket statement

Now I don't know where you checked up on those behringers but I owned a pair and the ones I had were pure junk, I sent 3 pairs back to Musicians friend before I finally asked for a refund and replaced them with Roland's

Guys
The point I am trying to throw out here is that OMO the biggest bang for the buck is probably going to be these Samsons especially compairing them with KRK monitors.
That ia allI am saying.:)

Back