Monitors?

DL da ARSUN

I had a pair of NS10's but sold it. Now I'm currently looking for near field monitors to use as reference monitors like I did my ns10's. What are good near field monitors to purchase at a reasonable price?

Yamaha HS80M are the closest equivalent I think. It's what I have been using, and am having very good success with them. 700 bucks a pair, but realistically you can get them cheaper if you bargain with the store.

Can someone clearify if Yamaha HS50's are really better then BX5's? Cuz I'm bout to make a purchase and I wanna make sure I pick the right reference monitors.

Since I'm fairly new at Mixing i.e. Engineering and I will probably continue to consider myself new for years, my input needs to be taken with that consideration, however I was having a conversation with a guy who spent a few years in School learning Sound Engineering and all things related.

We commenced on the topic of Monitors in which I told him I just recent added a pair of KRK R5's to my setup and I like them for the price I paid, which was below going price. Then I asked this question which I believe is appropriate to your question.

" I'm thinking, if I really truly want to know what my mixes will sound like, why should it matter what Speakers I pick up, what if I buy the cheapest pair of crap I can find, like a pair of Radio Shack Monitors that go for $40 each"? He told me that is exactly correct and often times in high end Studios, Sound Engineers will have a pair of crap monitors to see what the mix sound like through them because of they sound good through those, you'll probably have a pretty good mix.

Would you not agree with this ?

Don't skimp on the monitors... AND Don't mix with canz. lol. I picked up some Dynaudio's for $1k and they were worth it. The KRK's are great for the money!

Hmmm. In all the studios I've worked and freelanced in over the years (there have been many), I can't remember any of them having crap monitors to test domestic reference. But it does make sense to have a few different monitors to check mixes on.

Maybe dig out some old stereo hi-fi speakers?

i don't have a hell of a lot of experience,,but i know,,,when i changed from alesis m1 active mkii's to mackie hr624,,,,i remixed everything i was doing,,,from scratch,,,,cos i had no choice.

once i'd heard my stuff on the mackies,,,it felt like it was the first time i'd really heard it,,so from that point of view,,,,,maybe its a good idea to aim high to start off???

also,,,i have a pair of ns10s (ebay,£190)
i used them when i think i'm finished. they're like,,,,my equivalent of your average stereo, for gettin that "how will this sound at my mates house" reference.

hope that helps.

Back