monitors vs headphones (A-T ATH-M40fs) low budget

Proveras

I like my recordings.
Hello there.

what about good headphones for mixing/monitoring?
a decent low budget pair of monitors are about $500us. something like the ps-5 from event or the haffler package including the pair of monitors and the amp.

the headphones are about $100us.
(ATH-M40fs from A-T)

this are some of the specs. of the headphones:
Flat, extended frequency response for mixing/monitoring
Field-replaceable cables, drivers and ear pads
Frequency Response 5 - 28,000 Hz

http://www.audiotechnica.com/guide/other/headset/ATHM40fs.html

are there any other good headphones for mixing??
about $100 - 170.

maybe a good quality headphones works better then the FOSTEX ps 3 or 3.1.

any comments about this headphones, other headphones or monitors vs headphones???

Much bang for the Buck!

I really like the ATH-M40fs. I was first introduced to them while doing some tracking work with DADA. The band was complaining that the studios AKG headphones weren't loud enough. We tried a bunch of different headphones and these seemed to sound the best at high volumes. Later I bought a pair to use at home on my Editor. The seem to magnify the low end a bit (what headphones don't) but replicate the mids and highs with some level of accuracy. I now have two pair so that I can hear exactly what the artist hears when they are tracking with headphones on.

As for mixing, I think you could though a speakerphone if you did it enough times and were familiar enough with the way it replicates sound. If you want to mix through your head phones, DO IT!! First, listen to everything you can get your hands on. Listen to how levels are set and where sounds are positioned. Then listen to your stuff. Compare what Tom Lord Algae, Al Schmitt, or Elliot Schiner did to what you are doing. Listen to the same stuff in your car, does it sound different there? Why? Listen on a boom box. Again, does it sound different? Why? Make changes, take notes. Repeat. Learn.

There are no rules in recording that are set in stone. Try things and do what makes sense for you. It it sounds good, and unique do it again, if not try something different.

Good luck.

J

Re: Much bang for the Buck!

jamiecer said:
As for mixing, I think you could though a speakerphone if you did it enough times and were familiar enough with the way it replicates sound. If you want to mix through your head phones, DO IT!!

There are no rules in recording that are set in stone. Try things and do what makes sense for you. It it sounds good, and unique do it again, if not try something different.

J
Completely DEAD wrong!!!!!!!!
You will get a much better mix mixing thru a speakerphone than you will using headphones. Headphone mixes are NOT translatable - period. They simply do not relate to playback on speakers... HOWEVER, any mix done via speakers will ALWAYS sound phenomenal on headphones....

There are no rules in recording that are set in stone... except one - DON'T MAKE ANY MIX DECISIONS BASED SOLELY ON HEADPHONES.......... no rules, but there are some guidelines... and that's one of them.......

Bruce

Easy Bruce!

I guess the point that I was trying to make in my post was that this person is an amatur engineer. Let him mix on his headphones if that is all that is practical for him to use at this point. He can then compare his mixes to pro cd's elsewhere (car, boombox) and learn how to mix his "amateur" recordings. He'll be fine. Will his stuff get played on the radio? Most likely, no. Will his head explode? I sure hope not.

When I get a call from Sony to mix, would I mix it on headphones? NO! I know you wouldn't either. But we also wouldn't be in our guest rooms at 2:45am with our wives in the next room sleeping. The location would be a real studio.

Jamie

Re: Easy Bruce!

jamiecer said:
I guess the point that I was trying to make in my post was that this person is an amatur engineer. Let him mix on his headphones if that is all that is practical for him to use at this point. He can then compare his mixes to pro cd's elsewhere (car, boombox) and learn how to mix his "amateur" recordings. He'll be fine. Will his stuff get played on the radio? Most likely, no. Will his head explode? I sure hope not.

When I get a call from Sony to mix, would I mix it on headphones? NO! I know you wouldn't either. But we also wouldn't be in our guest rooms at 2:45am with our wives in the next room sleeping. The location would be a real studio.

Jamie

YUP! I agree -- good points I hadn't considered!!!

:D

(and Wide Awake -- I noticed your smirky grin!!!) :D :D

Back