MONITORS vs Computer speakers

balky

Hi everyone!

I have two questions:

#1. Is it possible to use computer speakers (subwoofer, L&R and center piece) by Logiteck as monitors. How to callibrate them if ti is possible to play sound accurately?

#2. What companies make best Active near field Monitors? Which would you suggest.

Thanks much

1) Yes, you can use them as monitor speakers. Will they accurately reproduce sound in a neutral manner? No. Until you get real monitor speakers, you should go into the Window's control panel for speaker settings, etc. and put the bass and treble slider in the middle (neutral). Also, make sure to place your speakers in a perfect triangle with your ears to get the best stereo image. Again, you need real monitor speakers.

2) "Best" is a very subjective term, so that shouldn't be applied. Also, it depends on what price range you're looking at. You sound new at this, so I'm doubting you're looking at ADAMS, Genelac, etc. Let us know what you're looking to spend and what type of music you work on.

Hi. Thanks so much for your reply... Well, I graduated from audio school about 10 years ago, never worked in the field. Now I am trying to recall as much as I can.

I live in an apartment (small) so that is another factor. And I am trying to be as modest as possible as far as price... I would say 300-350 for a pair of Active speakers or cheapper.

I am into voiceovers/singing.

I looked up some monitors... Different companies... Alesis, Berhinger, etc... wich one is consider fairly good/respectful?

Thx

I'm currently using Wharfedale 8.2 Pro Diamond actives and have been happy with them. Their only weakness for my use is on the low end spectrum (kick, bass).

Wharfedale 8.2 Pro I looked them up... Look good. When you say weak on low end, you mean they distored bass when it's too much? how that weakness is expressed?

No no, not distorted, just underrepresented. I'm planning on getting a monitor subwoofer to run with them at some point. It's just tougher to accurately mix sub 80-100Hz sounds on the Wharfedales. For your use (singing), they should be fine, though.

I would always adjust HI and Low to MID position... how about the center piece and subwofer?

Subwoofer has a control on the back, I turned it all the way to minimal. The center piece has a Loudness knob, how loud should it be, though?

oy vey... made a clip... sounds good on my end... at the pro studio sounded not as good ... I was mixing in headset. Need to stop doing it.

I'd unplug the center channel, honestly, and rear surrounds if you're using them. For the sub, check the knob on it - it may have a mark on it. If so, place the level at the mark - this is considered neutral or normal responsiveness for your sub. If not, I'd put it around 3 out of 10 power. Maybe 4.

Keep in mind that one of the most (if not the most) important elements to achieving a good mix is to have a good monitoring chain that you know very well.

Grab a CD or recording that you know very well, and go and listen to monitors at any audio outlet. Find a good set that you feel comfortable on.

Good point Tuo - I should have mentioned that. Especially with the subwoofer, since you have some control with it.

Will do this today... Do you have anyexperience with mics? I have this Samson CO3 I wonder if is a complete shit or somewhat ok... It was the cheappest one at the store. The sales person siad that it was gonnabe good.

for preamp I have Studio V3 by Art

KRK RP series (RP6, RP8) is easier to trust than Wharfeshits.
Less problems with reliability and bass accuracy.
Not THAT much more expensive.
Also, Samson Rubicon Monitors are quite good for the price.
Again, better than Wharfeshits.

aaroncomp said:
Don't listen to the above. Like I said, the Wharfs have good sound representation except below 100Hz.
Dude, there is A LOT of music below 100Hz!
I agree there isn't a lot below 35Hz, but between 35 and 100 Hz there something!

TheDewd said:
Dude, there is A LOT of music below 100Hz!
I agree there isn't a lot below 35Hz, but between 35 and 100 Hz there something!

Really, dude? I could have sworn that my kick was thumping my tweaters pretty hard. As I have clearly pointed out, that is a weakness for them. I also pointed out that I plan on purchasing a sub to run with them. Other than that, they're great. Any monitor will have weaknesses - all which you will learn with time and adjust accordingly for. I use another set of speakers for to check also. I've never listened to the KRK series - I'm sure they aren't bad, but I'm sure they have their flaws also - I won't attempt to make up a word out of KRK to make me feel more comfortable with my Wharf purchase, though. :rolleyes:

aaroncomp said:
Really, dude? I could have sworn that my kick was thumping my tweaters pretty hard. As I have clearly pointed out, that is a weakness for them. I also pointed out that I plan on purchasing a sub to run with them. Other than that, they're great. Any monitor will have weaknesses - all which you will learn with time and adjust accordingly for. I use another set of speakers for to check also. I've never listened to the KRK series - I'm sure they aren't bad, but I'm sure they have their flaws also - I won't attempt to make up a word out of KRK to make me feel more comfortable with my Wharf purchase, though. :rolleyes:
1) I didn't purchase KRK monitors.
2) Below 100Hz is not what I would call a "flaw"....it's a design MISTAKE!

I could agree that for this monitor size, frequencies below 50Hz could be wrong....but below 100Hz is totally unacceptable by EE/Audio design standards.

One should aim at the flattest monitor his money can buy. So you would have been better off buying better nearfields with more low end extension than buying a separate sub $$, having to treat your room for the sub $$ and trying to readjust to your new listening environment. Adding a sub is useless without room treatment, so it's a much wiser choice to buy better/bigger nearfields than poor Wharfeshits and a sub. :rolleyes:

balky said:

I listened to all of these except the Sampsons at GC recently The M-Audios sounded best to me however that shouldn't be what you ar looking for in a monitor.

I forgot who suggested this but take a cd of your work with obvious flaws that you know on it. Take it to the music store and play it through every set of monitors they have. Listen if the speaker makes your work sound good it's the wrong speaker. If it makes your flaws stick out like a sore thumb thats probably the set of monitors or close to it for you.

balky said:
Of all those, I would go with the Resolv65A.
Avoid the Behringers at all costs.
I don't like M-Audio, but many others disagree about that.

Personally, I'm very happy with the mixes I've made on the Wharfs. I feel they have very good neutrality and are very far from "shit." And one final time, I said it is "tougher" to mix sub- 80Hz on the Wharfs. You're acting like the sound just disappears completely. Yeah, if I was mixing rap or hip-hop I would have never purchased them. End.

Back