Monitors under $400

lilboypeat

Ok, I'm in the process of getting some monitors. I'm stuck on the Behringer Truths($299) and the Alesis MIAKMKII($399). Help me out y'all.

And . . .
listen to source material that you know WELL

your fave CD, for example, and mabye some of your mixes.

Yo Peat: [you don't have a brother named "moss" do you?]

Ears are the best test; however, for the $$ you indicated, a pair of Yorkville passives will do a good job. Alesis? Not recommended by too many folks. I had a pair and someone bought them after I got the Yorks -- some group in Seattle got them, named: SOUP'S ON or something like that.

You can find the nearest Yorkville dealer by getting Yorkville on the net.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a pair of KRK 8's if the price is right.

Happy St. Patrick's day.

Green Hornet

:p :p :cool:

There are some advanced members on this thread already.
If you are more specific on what you want to accomplish, they can better guide you.

Chris

what's so bad about the alesis m1 actives?

i've been doing some research on active monitors (plan on getting a pair soon), and until now i haven't even heard of the yorkville ysm-1's... i guess i need to do more.

That was about the buget I had.

I listened to:
The Alesis actives
The Event 20/20's
Some Roland Digitals
The Behringer Truths
Foxtex PM-1's.

I bought the Fostex. The reason I did so was that I felt the low end was better on them.

One of the big differences I seem to hear from 'home studio' set-ups is that they often lack solid low end, so I was hoping to combat that by getting some monitors that would show me what was happening down there.

Don't get me wrong; these aren't the super accurate monitors they claim to be; the mids are a little less pronounced, and they lean towards a lot of lows and a lot of highs. I usually do a lot of guitar rock, country, and soul and don't EQ guitars much if at all, so I just don't worry about the mid-range too much other than vocals. I just mix it to have a lot of low-end and it comes out fairly balanced.

For the money, I like 'em.

Chris

You should also check the M-Audio LX4 2.1 System. It comes with a sub and two 4 inch monitors. It's about the same price and might offer a better image because the sub is included.

Most nearfeilds under $500 are going to be great at midrange and highs but lack significantly in the low end.

I have not heard the LX4 system but would probably compare it to other systems in that price range.

Back