Monitors on a budget of £100.. Do these sound OK? Behringer Digital Monitor Speakers'

PizzImperfect

Hi all,

Right i'm biting the bullet and investing in monitor speakers. I'm absolutely skint at the moment and I won't have more than £100 to spend on these for some time.. So i'm just looking at the lower end market.
First pair I found were USB... don't like the sound of that at all (literally...?).
Then I found these, what do you think?

Behringer Digital Monitor Speakers MS20 (Pair)
£86 for the pair, well known brand and they look nice...

Thanks!

Can't advise on either of these, - best bet is to go listen to them somewhere. After my experience with a Behringer mixer this past week, I won't be getting ANY of their stuff!

I've heard they've got a bad rep...
Strangely enough i've used one of their mixers for a couple years now and it's held up well.
Just struggling to find anything better for the same money.
I may be about to stretch £120 but i don't think it'll make much difference!

For the most important tool - by far - in *any* recording rig, I would highly suggest holding off and saving up for better (MUCH better). Even if it takes another year. Because that will only set you back a year. Cheesy monitors will set you back for as long as you have them plus whatever time it takes to undo the bad habits developed while using them.

I would highly suggest holding off and saving up for better (MUCH better). Even if it takes another year. Because that will only set you back a year.
I've heard that said a lot so there must be something in it, but I wonder if the OP actually has no monitors at all. If he/she is currently mixing with headphones only, wouldn't entry-level monitors at least be better than that? I'm in the same boat, actually: no monitors at all so everything goes down the cans. ;-))

I have MS 40s alongside my KRKs and they translate fairly well...but 4" woofers do not allow for a decent representation of any bass...you will find yourself going back and forth quite a while to get your mixes right if they are your only monitors

they are infinitely better than just mixing with cans or budget bookshelf speakers though...I kind of think if you can get a decent mix on them it will sound good on most small systems and thats been fairly true so far...

also Behringer equipments a bit hit or miss with folks...I have two mixers that have worked fine since I got them...and some rack stuff that I play me guitar through and had no problems with it..it is budget gear so dont expect the world but for bang per buck its damned good

Currently i do 60% of my mix with my monitor cans on.. then i'll spend some time playing through the (crappy) 2.1 speakers i have with my system to try and balance the mix between the 2.
Its do-able for my skill level at the moment, but no doubt the monitors would make the task far easier in the first place.
I may just wait a month or 2 and stick anotherr £100 with it.. I have seen a pair of Fostex speakers that are nice.. I think i'm being impatient!

Back