Monitors making a really odd noise?

Carny1122

Plugin Whore
Hey guys, I just bought a pair of KRK RP6's off of Ebay. The one monitor sounds amazing, but the other one's woofer sounds distorted and almost like it's clipping. Curious what it was, I turned off the music and gently poked the woofer to move it back and forth. It's making a sound as if the back side of the woofer is scraping something. I popped the back off to see if I could diagnose the problem, maybe just some foam got accidentally shoved up there, but I couldn't find ANYTHING. The woofer is fine, not torn or anything, but I'm REALLY irked about this! The guy said they were almost brand new, and I'll believe him because they look and sound new, but this is a serious problem! Any suggestions?

Also, it's not under warranty, and if it is, I don't have ownership of the warranty card. Help? :(

I guess that I should also add in that at studio volume, it sounds fine aside from a little bit of "buzzing" noise, and they're on isolation pads, so I know it's nothing around them. And you can hear it from the woofer when you stick you head down by it.

i know it's not especially helpful, but,,,if i buy anything from ebay,,and it arrives with a problem that wasn't described in the listing,,,,,it gets sent back,

maybe it's just me,,,but i can't help but feel like if theres a flaw,,,the seller knew all along, and just hoped the buyer would be someone who wouldn't complain.

i'm not always this fussy,,but with a mic/preamp/monitors,,,,,gear that is very sensitive, and very precisely engineered, i like to know that there never was any problem with it.

good luck,,i hope you get sorted.

Ah, yeah, I usually do. My brother paid for them with his paypal, I just gave him half of the cost in cash, so it's his call, really. I guess that I could call dibs on the good speaker! :cool: haha. It seems to be fine at higher volumes, just lower volumes it's kind ehhh. And it's nothing that the guy did, it really seems like a fullout manufacturing thing. Not really a big concern of mine, I love the monitors. I popped the back off and checked out everything and it seems okay. Maybe just something little that'll disappear with more breaking in.

Maybe just something little that'll disappear with more breaking in.

Hate to say it, but monitors don't need 'breaking in'. Pretending that the problem isn't there won't help, and the longer you delay, the harder it will be to send them back.

Just my $.02

the woofer is blown if it's scratching... ok ya wanna feel better? it's 2/3 blown... but ya cant get 2/3 rebuilt gotta go whole hog... sorry...

kinda seems like a resounding "send them back", and to go along with an other poster there,,,there sooner the better,

i bought an item,,,long story short, it was wrecked, and i got talked into "visually inspecting the inside for defects",,then i was told i had voided my warranty by doing so!!!!!

be careful what you say, and act fast,,,,and of course,

good luck.

Back