Monitor's low freq - How low?

micmac

I've been checking monitor specs and i got a bit confused about the lower frequency response. Some go as far down as 35-40hz while some 'popular/hated' ones lists 60hz as their lowest response. There's more, but to make it short: How important is that 20-30 hz difference in low frequency response when it comes to near field monitors?

micmac

30Hz v 60Hz is one octave, so it's really like 10kHz vs 20kHz, so you realize that it's really important.

But however, that is if we talk Real Life. And we aren't. We are talking specs. A sure way to spot really, really crappy equipment is that it spec'd as 20-20.000 Hz. :)

regebro said:
30Hz v 60Hz is one octave, so it's really like 10kHz vs 20kHz, so you realize that it's really important.

Exactly, that's why i'm confused.

Here's what i found:
Reveal: 65hz
NS-10 60hz,
PS5: 52Hz
PS6: 45Hz
YSM1: 40hz
HR824: 39Hz roll off 50/80Hz
M1: 38hz
PS8: 35Hz (some site said 38hz)

To me these numbers represent a huge difference, but besides my main concern (about the the low freqs, obviously), how much does it actually affect the overall sound? And how high could the lowest freq response be without losing vital parts of the sound?

I understand the importance, but i would never go for a pair of Alesis M1's just because they have a 38hz freq response.

micmac

I don't agree with Shailat there. But SPECS aren't important anyway. So don't be confused, there is no need to be.

Nearfields dont have the capability to give you accurate information in the 20-30Hz. Below 40Hz better to not take into consideration at all in the mix.

In a small room or a room that has not been treated well acousticly the lows can only give you trouble.
People that own bad or small rooms and have thes monster speakers or even subs are kidding themselfs.

For a small/Bad room better to work with a monitor with a response till 60Hz.
Most rooms canot deal with the wave lenths of low freq's and standing waves are hard to deal with.

In general with nearfields dont waste your time with the lows under 40Hz.

As a side line. I think that many people here dont put the room as the first priority before EVERYTHING.
You can have the most expensive mic+pre+monotors, yet it will still sound bad in a poorly treated room.

I would not spend mega bucks on a monitor or mic or mixer or pre before my room was not treated...waste of money !!.
The difference between a homestudio and a pro one is that the pros build the room first and then fill it with equipment. The homerecordist frist goes out and buys the newest soundcard and then just plops it in a room.
Some after are chasing and fighting the room to make their new gear try to sound good.

Shailat is dead on here.

In addition, unless you are producing dance music that emcompasses that huge low end sound, you will not have a whole lot of stuff going on below around 50Hz anyway.

For checking low end, it is still a good idea to reference it on a decent home stereo system, and your near fields, and the room you use them in as Shailat pointed out are just not going to support them freq's.

You will start to get a good feel for low's when you monitor is a decently treated control room.

Base you monitor choice on something else. NS 10's really roll off after around 200Hz and cannot really be trusted at all for low freq decisions, but plenty of people have wonderful sounding stuff on them. It is a matter of experience and "learning your monitors and room" that will make a big difference.

Ed

Back