Monitors cable length?

Purpleb

This might be a stupid question lol. I am getting some new monitors in the next week. I have some 15 foot cables for them. Is that too long? or does that even matter? I thought I heard that they should be 10 foot or under but not sure.
thanks

Ok thanks a lot.
Just for future reference, 1. is there a cable that when it gets above a certain length it can cause problems? 2. if so what cable?

thanks

Ok thanks a lot.
Just for future reference, 1. is there a cable that when it gets above a certain length it can cause problems? 2. if so what cable?

thanks

Well like a guitar/instrument cable, but it has to be pretty long. So like any unbalanced cord will have problems after a certain footage.

One more thing I have a apogee duet and from what i heard has unbalanced trs jack, the monitors I am using are balanced.
So should I use balanced or unbalanced cable?

thanks

or bed bugs...

It matters most on more influenced items like mics. You want the distance between the mic and preamp relatively short. But after the preamp when the signal is strong it doesn't really matter. Between a battery and inverter relatively short. And stuff like that. Once the signal is under power / at level, it matters far less.

For the monitors it shouldn't really matter. As long as the cable is balanced and shielded. There might be some theoretical loss, but I doubt it could be heard by humans. Or any more of an unknown variable than the other components that make up a monitor. There are some theoretical lengths of cable that will inject noise, but those are longer than near field monitors would be of usefulness and probably greater distances than it takes to go around the outside of most peoples houses several times. At which point the lightning hazard is probably more worrisome than the signal mangling. In theory you want the cable to be of the same length for each monitor to ensure proper timing. Not that that even matters much with electrons traveling much faster than the speed of sound.

Back