Monitors - Behri MS40 or Samson Resolv 40a - which is less crap?

Which monitors?

• Samson Resolv 40a

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

normington

Right, I'm on a real tight budget, looking at £100/$200 tops for a pair of powered monitors. The Behringer MS40s and Samson Resolv 40a are about the same price, have roughly the same spec. The Behris have more inputs and a digital input too, but to be honest I'm not fussed about that. Please don't just reply telling me that both Behringer and Samson are both shoddy; heard it all before, go and deal with your problems elsewhere. If anyone knows of anything else around that sort of price mark that might be better? then that's great, about 20 watts a side and >£100 is what I want.

Cheers,
Andy

Both are crappy,if you consider they won´t give you a notion of what is happening with your mixes below, let´s say, 100 hz (and you have A LOT of information below this frequencie).Really, I don´t know why Yamaha, M audio and others...sell these 4" or even 3" as "studio monitors". They´re not a reference to a mix (unless you add a sub). In My Opinion...a waste of money.

This is a very god option in a cheap price range. Don´t be fooled with the 5" woofer (in this specific monitor), it reproduces low frequencies very well.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/rubicon-r5a/67968

Ciro
www.soundclick.com/openstation

hey ,,

well man the behringers are a sturdy monitor but i just hate the clip they seem to develop when listening. the samsons are the better monitor but not great.

but are you looking for active or passive?

great passive: alesis monitor one mk2...............£96.99
active: E-MU PM5........................................ £89.99

by the way these prices are from turnkey.com.. this is a uk website so its easyer for you

they've gota be active really.

and i really am stuck to the £100 budget - i know its not gona get me anything remarkable, but that money even is a stretch - I'm 15.

when we're talking about adding a sub, has that got to be a studio quality monitor-spec speaker aswell? I know ideally that is what it'd be, but i have to work with what i've got, which could mean taking a 17watt sub from a 2.1 desktop system, if that is at all doable? excuse me if im being unreasonable with that haha.

that emu pm5 - looks great but as i can see it its a single for the price you mentioned? i'm after a stereo set really. unless somebody can come along and tell me that one better monitor is worth more than two less good ones?

You know what? Monitoring is REALLY important, but the bottom line is how well YOU can hear what translates from your speakers to the masses. I have used a lot of mid-high prosumer level monitors, and for whatever reason, the ones I like the best happen to be Behringer Truth 2031a models. They are cheap, they are reverse engineered, and they are not the sturdiest compared to the Mackies and KRK's and Alesis, etc that I have used, but the most important thing is that my mix TRANSLATES better with my ears.

Get what you like, and LEARN them well. Listen on them a lot. Listen critically. Then, when you have the opportunity to upgrade, you will have a frame of reference to go on.

I wish I had started mixing when I was 15.

Pete

for $200 I'd go used. I nabbed some BX5's for $180 once used and they were fine with a sub.

i never heard behringer sound bad per many posters, on the monitors, maybe the best thing they copied and built:p...but how long they last or how much 85db they can take is another story...

performance and hard use is another "quality" issue higher dollar components hold up to....thats a side of high end most casual home studios don't need to worry about as I get it. I mean someone that is on 24/7 or serious needs dependable, better built stuff.... if casual HR i'd imagine Behri monitors are ok, or other cheaper stuff.

fhk I don't know...the wine and cheese is good tonight. Lord Chris did gold records on frkn Radio Shack Optimus 7's..so there you have my rotty input.:D

Yeah, I'm not very experienced so I guess its not of particularly major importance, but clearly I still should get the best I possibly can stretch to.

The Fostex PM05s look like a promising option, but they're a tad too high priced for my situation really - the PM04s are more like it - would they be any good?

There's also the M-audio Studiophile AV40s - M-audio are a better brand right? And they're about the same price. Anyone know anything about these?

The Fostex PM05s look like a promising option, but they're a tad too high priced for my situation really - the PM04s are more like it - would they be any good?

Fostex has been making speaker drives for over 40 years, and their components are used in high-end speakers from various manufacturers. The PM-04's would likely be in the same ballpark as the PM-05's -- with slightly less bass -- but it's the mid-range and highs you really, really want dead on, and at this price point, deep bass isn't an option anyway (unless you get a hold of a great used bargain). Later on, you can always add the Fostex sub-woofer.

Right, I've got some final options:

These are all around the £100 mark, but I'll put them in price order. They're all stereo active monitors.

- Samson Resolv 40a - 25W/side, 4"
- Behringer MS40 - 20W/side, 4.75", additional digital inputs
- M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 - 20W/side, 4"
- M-Audio DX4 - 18W/side, 4"
- Fostex PM.04 - 18W for each LF and HF (individual amps/side), 4"
- ESI nEar04 - 20W/side, 4"
- Samson Resolv 50a - 35W/side, 5.25"

I've put power and cone size there because they're alot of what people have commented on so far. There's a selection of different brands there, some obviously with far better reputation than others. The Samson 50a's are the most powerful and biggest of the selection, the M-Audio DX4's the least and smallest. I'm told the Fostex and ESI's are good monitors?

Any help appreciated,
Thanks,
Andy

I'd recommend going with a single 'better' monitor with a larger woofer, and mix in mono until you can afford another.

If you compromise and go for a pair of smaller monitors, chances are that you will 'grow out' of them fairly quickly and want to spend another pile of cash on some larger ones with better low frequency reproduction.

Right, I've got some final options:

These are all around the £100 mark, but I'll put them in price order. They're all stereo active monitors.

- Samson Resolv 40a - 25W/side, 4"
- Behringer MS40 - 20W/side, 4.75", additional digital inputs
- M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 - 20W/side, 4"
- M-Audio DX4 - 18W/side, 4"
- Fostex PM.04 - 18W for each LF and HF (individual amps/side), 4"
- ESI nEar04 - 20W/side, 4"
- Samson Resolv 50a - 35W/side, 5.25"

I'd go with M-Audio or Fostex (maybe the Samson). I have a pair of Samson Rubicon 6's that are great, but they're not the same design as the Resolv.

In FutureMusic UK the M-Audio and Fostex models consistently do well.

Andy, I haven't heard anything in that price range, but I do recall reading a surprisingly positive review of the Tascam 2.1 system ($100) in Tape Op mag last year.

J.

Later on, you can always add the Fostex sub-woofer.

i agree. thats another thread, but a cheap sub later can really help out a 4" or 5"...actually two subs, and then your getting like a Hi-End budget setup?:confused:...simulating, doing the best one can do.

Back