monitors and power amps

FourEyesRock

quick question...i have a layla 24/96 and im buying monitors and a power amp....ok so this is how i perceive this. Im going to plug my monitors into my power amp and then hook the power amp up to my layla 24/96. ok so how would i be able to hook up the power amp to my layla? S/PDIF? the outputs? i dunno i need help...i mean do i even need a power amp? could i just plug my monitors into my outputs and do the volume control on the computer? is that possible? im planning on getting a QSC RMX 850 Power Amp...someone please help me out...the power amp and monitors both have 1/4 trs ins and outs....

Sounds more like a pa system than a reference monitoring system.You need a amp between your sound card and monitors (speakers).Anyway's you would hook up 1/4" cables from the layla's outs to your power amp inputs,than your power amp outputs to your speakers which in most cases are going to be speaker cable.I run a Hafler P1500 to Event 20/20's.If you are mainly concerned about accuracy than pa speakers aren't the way to go...:D

on the back of the Layla you have two 1/4 monitor outputs. Go from those to the channel in's on your amp. hook up your speakers and yer on

The Layla's signal output is not powerful enough to drive a pair of normal (unpowered) monitors, which is why you need an amplifier to boost the signal. Note that some monitors are already powered (also called active monitors), which means you don't need a separate amp. Non-powered monitors (also called passive monitors) do require a separate amplifier.

on the back of the layla there are 8 quarter inch outputs. You would choose the outputs you want to use for playback in your recording software (I use 1&2, 1=LH 2=RH). You can controll the amount of gain sent to the amp via the echo console. If you are going to use a real pro type amp you would set the output to +4 at the bottom of channell 1&2 or what ever channels you pick and then use the sliders for volume adjustment. If you are going to try and use a home stereo type amplifier set the buttons at the bottom of your outputs to -10 and use the sliders for volume adjustment.

plug into the outs on the back of the layla that you chose, and run those to the inputs on the amp then from the amp outputs out to the speakers. make sure you use speaker cables from the amp to the speakers not signal/guitar cables. Like wise make sure you use signal cables from the layla to the amp.

If I where you I would set the sliders in the layla console to the max you will ever want and leave them there, then use the amp to controll your volume. This is not the normal recomendation but with out a mixer in the middle one wrong click and you can send those sliders to the top and blow your speakers.

personaly I would invest in a mixer with enough channells to run your signal out threw so that you can keep your amp adjustments topped out and you layla adjustments just below clip and make your volume adjustments at the mixer.

Using software controlls as your main volume adjustment device is a risky thing.

Later

F.S.

PS I should add once again, You can get away with doing what was described above but I would highly recommend a mixer between the layla and the amp.

(edit) just a word of caution, you can set your layla console to monitor inputs while recording. if you want to do this so that you can hear what is being recorded while you record or before, be very carefull you don't set up a feedback loop. (another good reason to do this all with a mixer)

Back