monitoring

guitarfreak12

I was mutli-tracking this weekend and noticed that my main meter on the bottom is clipping even though the individual tracks are not. What's up with that, I set the monitoring to smart and external, and everything else. I ran with it, baecause as far as I could tell just as long as the individual channel wasn't clipping on the input, it was fine.

(A) The *individual channels* are probably NOT clipping.

(B) When you add those channels together, you're going to clip.

(C) Take it as an omen - It's very likely that you're tracking way, Way, WAY too hot.

Channels shouldn't be "not clipping" -- They should be "not even close to being remotely worried about every possibly getting near clipping" -- 0dBVU as a reference - Not -0dBFS.

ok, thanks. That being said I wasn't really close to clipping at all on the tracks, isn't it better to record that way (as close as you can while avoiding clipping) so that you have a better SNR, and you can bring them down as much as you want in post?

ok, wow, it's amazing what you don't ever hear. Or at least listen to. Now you said "0dBVU = around -18dBFS" rule of thumb. Now does that mean -18DBFS is what the reading is in the computer?

nevermind I dug around and found the answer. So should I read the main level indicator, or individual tracks? Which one should I take to -18dBFS?

When you're recording, follow that -18 dB guideline for the individual tracks. That'll keep the levels where they ought to be.

When you're mixing, you don't have to be so fussy. The master volume can be set higher, as long as it isn't clipping.

ok, let me repeat you in a dummy fashioin to make sure I got it. The rule of thumb discussed is only for recording, it's ok to take everything up in post right?

I wouldn't move the master fader - Just as a matter of course.

You don't have to be *as* fussy, no. But in practice, you should be.

Everyone (almost) is going to use up all of their headroom in the mastering phase anyway - Using it up *ONCE* is one thing. Using it up over and over again is another.

Back