Monitoring via living room stereo reciever...

Senryoku

I use to burn CD-Rs all the time to "see" how they sound
like at my stereo reciever, car, bedroom stereo, and so on...
I´m spending almost all my life money on Cd-Rs boxes, so
I had the Idea to plug my digital out (from my digi001 board)
direclty thru the digital in (livingroom reciever), using a very long
TOS light cable (4mts). So, I ask you guys, is there any difference
between burning CDs and playing them or linking the computer direclty to the reciever? Is the final sound the same?

Thanks.

no appreciable difference since you'll still be using the same converters.

the difference might be in the leght of cable. there is a max lenght advisable but I forget the figure.

If you burn a CD from your computer, you're not using converters at all. And you're certainly not using the converters in your home stereo.

The most noticeable difference would arise if your recordings were done at 24 bit. How it gets reduced to 16 bit (dithering+noise shaping vs. truncation) will make a significant difference in the sound. If your recordings were originally made at 16 bit, then obviously this isn't an issue.

Are they exactly the same? No.

Is it a big difference? Only you can tell. It would depend on the quality of the stereo and the environment. If everthing else in the equation is great than you probably will notice a difference.

The real acid test for a mix is burning it to CD and playing it on different systems. Hooking it up with a cable will still give you an alternate mixing setup and will hopefully get your mixes closer to right and save you some of those really expensive CDR's. ;)

Many of the newer DVD players will play CDRW's. You might be able to save some burns that way if you need a new DVD deck.

Wired house

Thanks guys! I´m happy now.... (I´m buying looong optical cables :) I know that long pipes might mess with the digital data.
About testing in different equipments, yes it´s important, I´ve linked my digi001 to my living room and bedroom stereos, so I can have an Idea of a very good large room sound and a low volume sleep sound. When something goes out of EQ or volume everything I need to do is go flying to my recording room, move some sliders and go back to the sofa. Quite simple idea, I didn´t I have it before!

Another cool thing I´ve done was pass my usb webcam cable thru the phone hole on the wall, going direclty to my bedroom (where I use to record vocals). This way I can have the singer´s face right on my screen while recording. No need to break the wall, window, etc. The singer just plugs his headphone to the small stereo system which is also feeded opticaly by the digi001. I´m starting to enjoy my homestudio.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Senryoku

Back