monitoring set-up advice wanted

saxman72

I'll start this off by letting you know that I currently use Yorkville ysm1's, the passive version (I got them long before they made active ones), and yes, they are excellent monitors. This post is in NO way a bash on my wonderful yorkies...

My problem is this: Whenever I do mixes at home and then listen someplace else, I usually find that I mixed too bass heavy and too dark on the top end. I sometimes think that I've become this way because we live in such a sub-woofer world now and I'm used to hearing so much low end whether it's my car or even my computer speakers.

The Question: Would I be best off adding a sub to my current system, or getting a really good pair of nearfields?

At this point, I don't really wanna jack around with 2nd best. I'm looking at Truth Audio TA-1P (or 1A), Dynaudio BM6, KRK V8, and Mackie HR824. In terms of subs, I haven't done my research yet, but I wanted to get thoughts, opinions, and real world answers from you people out there. What would you do? Which kind of set up do you prefer? What gets the best results?

thanks,

Saxman72

Great monitors are, well, great. But a better idea is to LEARN your monitors and room. Get to know how they resolve instruments all accross the frequency spectrum and you can mix on just about any monitor. I use the Yorkies too by the way.

Although my setup is much simpler, I had the same problem. I hooked up a sub I already had, and then adjusted level to yield the same heavy bass sound I heard on other external systems. In my case it amounted to 6 DB of bass.

Then when it sounded right here, it also sounded right on the other external sound systems.

Ed

Saxman,

> Whenever I do mixes at home and then listen someplace else, I usually find that I mixed too bass heavy and too dark on the top end. <

This is extremely common, and a sub is no solution unless your speakers are deficient to begin with. The real answer is to treat your room, especially by adding bass traps. See my Acoustics FAQ, second in the list on my Articles page:

www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html

In particular, you'll learn how the room creates a seriously skewed response throughout the entire range of low frequencies. This is the biggest problem most small studio operators face, not a lack of gear!

--Ethan

Excellent, excellent article, Ethan Winer!

I'm in the market for a sub, so this is exactly what I need to be reading - how to deal with the frequencies the sub will be generating. Thanks for the link!

Hey guys,

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I think it's interesting to note that there have basically been 3 different answers, all valid. I'd love to be able to alter the room to make it more acoustically sound, but beyond a few wall treatments, I don't think there's much I can do. :( I've been using the same monitors for about 3 years, so I am definitely familiar with them, however, I also listen to so much music in different places and especially live. Maybe I'm looking for a playback system that sounds more like what I'm used to hearing outside of this room.

I appreciate the food for thought... Please keep the replies coming if you have something to add!

Thanks!

Back