Monitoring Question

the_grudge

Im starting the recording process with my new band in which ill be playing drums, however, i have a problem. For some reason i hattteee hearing what im playing with the click. What i mean is i like to hear the click in my headphones from the tempo track, and nothing else. However i have no idea how to set up my equipment to where all i get from cubase is the tempo track and not the drums being recorded as well. All i want to hear is the temp track, and the bleed into the headphones from the drums, i hate hearing the drums im recording at that moment and the click, does anyone no of a way to turn it off so all i hear is my tempo track, and not the track as its being recorded as well?

If you need equpiment specifications i can give them to you.

sowpunk said:
All you SHOULD have to do is turn monitoring off for your drum tracks...

Depends on what device your talking about, turning monitoring of on cubase sx3 (which is what were currently running) dosnt turn off the sounds coming from the headphones, it could just be our set up, its possible we need a new one.

Samson Drum Mics goes to our Yahama 16 channel mixer (basically just a patch bay) which goes out the XLR output to M-Audio firewire interface to the computer sound card running cubase.

As sowpunk said... you should be able to turn off the monitor on each drum track channel in SX3. What happens when you click on the monitor icon on each channel?

your running an interface into a soundcard? hmmm....

if you mean that the maudio interface IS your soundcard (which it should be), then mute your inputs and just have the playback activated, or just solo the playback (waveout, lineout whatever it is) on the interface's control software.

~the kid

Im not sure of the soundcard we have, its not a regular sound card, i think its an emu or something. All i know is it has 2 balanced left and right 1/4 inputs and 2 balanced 1/4 outputs, so we have to run the interface into the card, because we dont have a card with firewire.

However, when we turn off monitoring on the track while im trying to record something, the graphic display that shows the levels dissapears, but the sound of the track being recorded remains in the headphones.

That's weird. The only thing you should be hearing with monitoring off is the click and the recorded tracks. Just curious, Are you going through a mixer and then into the interface? If so, where is the headphone amp getting it's signal from?

Ya, the mixer just acts as a way to hold all 8 mic cables since the interface has only a couple inputs, so it goes from the mixer to the interface. The headphones we generally just go directly from the output of the sound card from the computer.

Are you sure your not hearing a pre-recorded drum track? If you look at the track that you are trying to turn the monitoriung off on, is there a waveform already there?

Generally theres is nothing recorded since we always do drum tracks first, expect for the tempo track, the file is usually a new blank slate.

Is there a direct monitor level on your soundcard that you could turn down? Should be able to mute it in Cubase thats so odd.

Back