Monitor - upright or on it's side?

dwkman0117

Hello,
I have a pair of KRK RP-5 Rokit Powered Reference Studio Monitors, Currently I have them sitting upright. I have seen many recording studios on TV and other places, and I notice that they have some of their monitor laying on their side. Is there a reason for this, and should I have mine like this also...

Thanks

dwkman0117 said:
Hello,
I have a pair of KRK RP-5 Rokit Powered Reference Studio Monitors, Currently I have them sitting upright. I have seen many recording studios on TV and other places, and I notice that they have some of their monitor laying on their side. Is there a reason for this, and should I have mine like this also...

Thanks

I think it's often nothing more than out of neccesity. Generally, you want the center of the tweeters to be at the same height as your ears. Depending on your monitor stands/desk/shelf/chair, laying them on their sides might be neccesary to accomplish this. But yeah, as MM said, do what the mfg suggests if you can.

no bodies gonna spank you but there's a reason to keep them verticle... the exception being ones designed that way as john mentioned... if the birds are out further than the woofer then the high instruments tend to arrive later... this results in what some people describe as a wandering image...

dementedchord said:
no bodies gonna spank you but there's a reason to keep them verticle... the exception being ones designed that way as john mentioned... if the birds are out further than the woofer then the high instruments tend to arrive later... this results in what some people describe as a wandering image...

Really? That seems to be hard to believe, since the arrival time wouldn't change more than it would by moving your head a fraction of an inch, which happens all the time.

Orientation usually is determined by the dispersion of the HF component. If you lie a 90X50 tweeter on it's side, it's a lot harder to get inside the area where frequency response is decent.

andyhix said:
Generally, you want the center of the tweeters to be at the same height as your ears..

Actually you want the tweeter aiming just above your ear, not directly at it.

Most monitors I've read I seem recommend that you place the center of the monitor, right between the tweeter and woofer, aimed ear high or at the ear.

VSpaceBoy said:
Actually you want the tweeter aiming just above your ear, not directly at it.

Most monitors I've read I seem recommend that you place the center of the monitor, right between the tweeter and woofer, aimed ear high or at the ear.

Well, I won't argue. I was just going on what I've heard here previously. You have a way higher post count than I do, so you must be right.

:cool:

Edit: Well, just to argue a bit ;) , my monitors' manual says:
To make reflections from ceiling or floor less likely, note that the tweeters should be on the same height as your ears. Please note that the TRUTH should be operated vertically. Where this is immpossible, place it horizontally as shown in figure 3.3, to allow for an improved stereo image.
Figure 3.3 shows them with the tweeters on the outside. However, these are cheap-o monitors, so maybe the manual writers don't know what they're talking about.

andyhix said:
Well, I won't argue. I was just going on what I've heard here previously. You have a way higher post count than I do, so you must be right.

:cool:

Edit: Well, just to argue a bit ;) , my monitors' manual says:
Figure 3.3 shows them with the tweeters on the outside. However, these are cheap-o monitors, so maybe the manual writers don't know what they're talking about.

No prob.

My information comes from the Studio Designer and Engineer John Sayers. He says that ideally you want to aim your monitors to just past your head, with your ears in between the tweet and woof.

Honestly, it prob doesn't matter much at all at this level. I'd say at any level really. A good engineer could prob out mix me or you on a boombox.

Back