Monitor upgrade

Pony!

Yahoy hoy!

I've got a set of KRK rokit 5's... first generation. I've noticed its a bit boomy in the lo-mids... and I've been compensating for that in my mixes. I do, however, have a chance at getting an old Event Triamp set for next to nothing. Would this setup be an upgrade for me? Would it be worth it for the 150 bucks it would cost me? Should I still keep the KRK's around if I do upgrade?

It's a lot of questions that kinda fall into one question. How do they stand up against the Rokits?

Do you have a dedicated room for music?

If so, is it treated?

If not, I'd look into treating the room before upgrading my monitors.

If it's already treated/tuned ,
I have no idea. :o

:laughings:

There're mild amounts of treatment. Behind my monitors I have 4" oc703. On the wall across from my mix station I've got some more bass traps. The ceiling (which is quite short) is not yet treated... and on either side I've got 10 or more feet of space. one of the long ways has a door and the other is open. Both have some treatment on the walls there. Overall there are about 8, 4" bass traps in this small room. As well, I've got a bunch of cheap-o auralex style foam lining the space inbetween the traps. I'm going to work on making some corner traps soon... but that's for another day.

In short... I've got a little treatment. I ended up being highest bidder on these things... If nothing else it'll make a decent second set of monitors. I'll report back here my findings.

If you can afford it, why not.. Event makes great monitors and they have a great reputation. Tria's? 5 minutes of googling shows they are ~10 years old and MSRP was $849, they gotta be worth $150.... I'd get em just to try em out and see, so long as they're in good condition and work like they're supposed to. Plus I bet you could recoup your $150 easy on craiglist or ebay for em, that seems like too good a deal to pass up. Use em as a 2nd reference, A/B between your rokits and those. And even if you didn't use em in your studio, you can use it for a gaming pc, plug your ipod into it, etc.. It's nice to have another set of speakers around.

Got rid of my Tria's. No bottom end so everything winds up with the bottom end cranked when listening in a "real" environment. I now have JBL 2325's with the matching sub. Perfect in every way except price (about $850 total).

as a quick update to this story. The tria's arrived... The sub's woofer and one of the satellite's woofers were toasted. I'm now trying to deal with a very stubborn woman about the return. Might have to just escelate the paypal claim.

Back