Monitor Setup Question

wtfuhz

5 dollar loud blunts
Recently, I bought some new recording equipment and it's still a little foreign to me. I have a Roland Octa-capture usb interface and a pair of Mackie MR5's. I've installed the interface's driver and have plugged in the monitors, but no sound comes out. The speakers are on, the interface is on, everything is plugged in but i don't think the outputs are showing up on my computor. Can anyone please help me set up my monitors?

Right now, I'm just trying to play songs through winamp. Do I still need to set up the interface in my DAW? (Studio One)

Its also not picking up my mixer. Let's pretend that I just took an interface, a mixer, and some monitors out of their boxes. How would I set them all up?

The mixer is for drum tracks and full band settings mostly. That's the least of my worries though. I'm more concerned about the interface and monitors.

Haha that's kind of what I meant but I'm not getting sound out of my monitors for some reason.

1 Check your "Sound and audio device" settings . . .. make sure that the interface is visible and selected there.

2 Check the interface's monitor mix level.

#2 would mean turning the volume knob up on your interface. Looking at the interface on their site, it looks like it's called "main out". But there's also a button next to it to switch between headphones and monitors and just headphones. Make sure that it on the right setting.

The knob is up and the headphone button is set correctly. The interface and the computer are both showing that sound is being played but for some reason the speakers (which are turned on) aren't making any sounds.

The knob is up and the headphone button is set correctly. The interface and the computer are both showing that sound is being played but for some reason the speakers (which are turned on) aren't making any sounds.

Do you have anything else you can test them on? Another interface perhaps? Any other cables you can connect them with? Is the sound also turned up on the monitors themselves?
We don't ask these questions to insult your intelligence by the way. They really are common mistakes that people can make anytime. I've been on to fiddle around with gear for hours to realise I never turned it on. Countless times, when I'm playing on stage, I wonder why I can't hear myself, until I just remember I forgot to turn my volume knob back up from when I turned it down between songs. =P

Do you have anything else you can test them on? Another interface perhaps? Any other cables you can connect them with? Is the sound also turned up on the monitors themselves?
We don't ask these questions to insult your intelligence by the way. They really are common mistakes that people can make anytime. I've been on to fiddle around with gear for hours to realise I never turned it on. Countless times, when I'm playing on stage, I wonder why I can't hear myself, until I just remember I forgot to turn my volume knob back up from when I turned it down between songs. =P

Yeah the volume knobs on those particular monitors can be hard to turn with just your thumb and finger.

I actually do have another interface to try them on. I wasn't aware that there was a volume knob on these monitors o_O maybe thats the problem! I'll check ASAP and tell you guys what's up.

I actually do have another interface to try them on. I wasn't aware that there was a volume knob on these monitors o_O maybe thats the problem! I'll check ASAP and tell you guys what's up.

I've never used them, so I have no idea. But definitely worth checking out on your other interface, either way.

I got them working finally! I feel stupid because I forgot to turn their volumes up on the back of them. Didn't even notice those things before.

Back