Monitor set up

brainofj

Is it better to have your monitors set around ear level, ie height from ground to ear level when sitting down? I was thinking on having them set so that the actual centre of the speaker actually works out about the height from ground to my ear when sitting at my desk.

Is this the correct procedure?

and just to add, I've got the tweeter at ear level, woofer just below. For most monitors, standing up, not laying on the side.
my 2c........ :cool:

I agree with what Al and Dog have to say, and would like to add another few pennies to the pot here.

The human ear tends to perceive higher frequencies as being more "directional" than lower frequencies. Low frequencies tend to naturally fill a room whereas high frequencies tend to focus a bit more (until they bounce off of solid surfaces). For this reason it's technically more critical to have the tweeter in-line with the ear than the woofer.

This is sometimes why some prefer to put their monitors on their side (with the speaker elements lined up horizontally); if the ideal mounting locations for the monitors (see below) happen to be a bit above head level so that if mounted vertically the tweeters would be well above head level, some like to then mount the monitors horizontally so that the tweeters aren't that high. Additionally, some like to mount them horizontally in order to get a wider stereo field in the high frequencies (by laying the monitors with the tweeters on the far sides from each other.)

All that said, however, a few inches either way isn't going to make a huge difference in that regard. I have the same kind of monitors that Al does and I have mine sitting on a desk overbridge sitting vertically with my ears even with the center of the enclosure (which is just about the top edge of the woofer cone). The center of the tweeter is maybe 4" above my ears and I could care less; it works and sounds fine to me :).

Far more important is the position of the speakers within the room, and this is going to have far more effect upon the sound of your speakers and of your mixes. In general, you'll want to try to keep your speakers (and your monitoring position) out of room corners. Doing so is going to mess up your bass big time. It's instead recommended to place the monitors symmetric to the middle of a wall, with one of the long walls of the room being preferaable to one of the short ones (other factors such as ceiling slant, window location, etc. aside.) Also, it's best to have the monitors a minimum of several inches and preferably a couple of feet away from the wall behind them.

And then there is the issue of first reflections. Sometimes one monitor position can give you problems because of ealy reflections off of the desk surface in front of you. Often moving the monitors just a few inches either horizontally for vertically from the "theoretical ideal" of an equaleral triangle level with the ear can make all the difference in the world because of real world obstructions and reflecting surfaces like mixing consoles and computer desks.

So start with the described ideals and preferences - or at least as close to them as your room will allow - and, if necessary, make fine adjustments in speaker orientation or position as described to get what you need.

(We haven't even talked about room acoustics and treatment, which is a whole other ballgame.)

G.

What do you do if the "room" you have is so small that it makes all this good advice impossible to follow?

Lomas said:
What do you do if the "room" you have is so small that it makes all this good advice impossible to follow?
Do the best with what you got. Treat the room well. Also maybe consider shrinking the monitors.

I have no scientific basis for that last sentence, but I do have one first-hand example (I have given this example before, including an actual picture, so for those who have already read it, my apologies for the rerun):

A good friend of mine has his own project studio set up in a very small bedroom in his house. Going by the conventional wisdom found regularly here and elsewhere, his results should suck: he's using only very basic recording gear, recording to Adobe Audition on his PC and monitoring via a (suprisingly good sounding) pair of Altec Lansing computer speakers and complimentary sub, all in a room that must measure somewhere in the 6'x8' to 8'x10' range. A recipe for disaster?

He has with serendipitiy "treated" his room with a bookshelf along one wall and plenty of gear and assorted other doodads along another wall. The other two walls are his editing desk and a closet. It actually sounds quite good in there. The setup he has is certainly servicable and translatable enough to be able to get quite good mixes out of with well-trained ears, which he has.

Is it perfect? Of course not. Can he produce premasters as good as most of what shows up on these forums? Absolutely. He has the ear and he gets the most out of his gear - without a whole lot of plug-ins, BTW - and gets very good results out of it.

Of course, he's still eyeing the master bedroom.... ;) :D

G.

HangDawg said:
Give up and send all your gear to me.

Certainly! What's your adress?

Anyway...my room isn't even a room. It's a closet. I have to have the door open to be able to play a guitar in there.

I've got monitors but haven't even set them up yet. I will do what I can with it of course. If nothing else, I will learn some valuable lessons.

as for height, it depends too

some people set their monitors at a certain height that is a compromise to be able to mix standing up as well as sitting down...

My room is long rectangular shaped approx 2.2m x 5m. I am thinking of having a desk along the short way with a narrower shelf above for sitting the monitors and computer screen. The ceiling is a normal height all flat all the way across. The back short wall has a a recess about 1ft deep and half the length (approx 1.1m) and there will be a cupboard about 3/4 of the way down the room floor to ceiling and protrudes about 12" from one of the long walls.

Am i better to use the short wall for my desk as i am doing? And will the cupboard and recess cause any problems sound wise or will that actually help?

Forgot to mention, there is a window on the short wall that the desk will be at approx 900 x 600mm

My instincts would be to stay away from the short wall, if possible. At 2.2m wide, sticking an editing desk in there is like sticking it into two corners at the same time. Your bass patterns in that position will probably be awful.

G.

So what do you think would be my best layout in this room as i thought it would be best to set up long ways rather than have the sound bounce off the wall behind me?

Back