monitor recommendation: are those Behringer ripoffs a good idea?

boze

my friend is gonna finally get real refs for his kit and he likes my event20/20bas monitors.

someone pointed us at the behringer truth series but i was just reading here about some shadey shit regarding the company in general.

also really curious about the new tr8's from event but despite guitarcenters continuing adverts to the contrary they don't really have them in stores yet that i've seen.

thanks from me and my buddy on this one!

I don't really know much about the behringer monitors, i hear a lot of bad things, and some decent things. But in general i don't like the company and i've heard they generally make shit.

You'd be smarter spending your money on an awesome monitor like the Yorkville YSMIp's, or the events.

thanks!

wow, so everybody has only good things to say about yorkville here, huh?

i'll mail him this thread. it looks like we even have a dealer right near him too!

good stuff..:)

I don't have their monitors, but I have a Yorkville Stage150 guitar head and 212 cabinet. Ten years with no complaints!! Apparently, they still have their 2 yr UNLIMITED warranty too!

Chris

Ive recently read some bad stuff about the yorkvilles here just recently, Ive also read a decent reveiw on the behringer truths at pro rec.

Pro recs reviewer liked them beter than the revels by tannoy.

I use NS10s and allways get good results from them.

I've read plenty of bad things about the NS-10m's. (Probably because I wrote a lot of them!) :D

But I wouldn't presume to give anyone named "Boze" advice on speakers. ;)

teasin' me!!

=)
i know- i should abandon my nic- i've been meaning to do it. i just started it as something famliar and easier to chat to somebody- it's actually from a harlan ellison short story- some future cats racing cars to the death and the young kid is taunting the grownup guy and calling him 'boze' as short for bozo. i was reading it just when i started to get into chat and online personahood.

ahem..

personahood?

anyway

I am the buddy in question

Hello, I am the buddy boze was talking about.

Does anyone have recommendations for 8" reference monitors, at about the same pricepoint as the Behringer Truth B2031, $400-600USD / pair? The Yorkville's appear to be 6", and I'm not interested in that size.

Thanks in advance!

Unless

Unless you think there is a convincing argument that I can get sufficient frequency response from 6" drivers (without having to buy some $1000 subwoofer cabinet), when the kind of music I create is always going to have sub bass.

Keep in mind I've never owned reference monitors, and I'm not too knowledgeable of the science of the things... I'm assuming the frequency output of 6" ref monitors simply will not go as low as that of 8" ref monitors.

thanks!

I think the general rule is avoid behringer, with some exceptions. Maybe the truths and ecm8000

Claustrophonic, check these:
Event PS-6
M Audio Studiophile BX-8 (I have the older version, SP-8B, and love 'em)
Tannoy Reveal Active

these all sit between $400 and $600 (US$)

Back