Monitor Question

That depends. If you want to take advantage of your audio interface's hardware monitoring feature you have to use its output. If your speakers are passive then you need an amp.

ah yeah thats true, my soon to be monitors will be active, its just i would have liked to hook them up to my amp. But i guess the amp would play with the frequencies right? it wouldnt be as flat.

Thanks!
Seb

If your montiors are active, then they have amplifiers built in and don't need further amplification.

Nothing to do with frequencies being played with.

What amp were you considering plugging them into, anyway?

Well i understand about the active monitor thing, its just i would like to be able to switch them on and off with the actual amp. I guess its a random preference :P and it doesn't work as well so i guess i wont do it.

Anyways, your question sort of brings me on to the topic of amplifiers. I have the choice between
1-Onkyo TX-4500MKII
2-Rotel RA-820A
3-Toshiba SA-735

Which one is better?

If the speakers are active and you connect them to another amp, you'll totally overload the imput and quite possibly burn out the speakers.

Depending on your DAW software and/or your interface, you may find they have a method to control your monitors--but forget using an amp unless you want to see what colour smoke your new monitors will generate...

If the speakers are active and you connect them to another amp, you'll totally overload the imput and quite possibly burn out the speakers.

Depending on your DAW software and/or your interface, you may find they have a method to control your monitors--but forget using an amp unless you want to see what colour smoke your new monitors will generate...

Yeah... perhaps I should have said that more explicitly... I was just trying to find out what "amp" meant to the OP... hi fi, by the look of it..

And OP - whatever you plug them into will usually have a volume control... real or virtual. If it's actually turning them OFF that you're talking about, then many also have power-saving circuits and they turn themselves off after a while if they don't get a signal. At least mine do.... PITA sometimes to get them to turn themselves back ON.... :laughings:

Quick question, do you plug monitor speaker directly into your computer, your external audio card, or an amplifier.

It depends on the monitors.

I connect my active monitors (K+H O110D) into a Grace m902b monitor controller which is connected to my MacBook Pro via an optical cable.

Ya that makes sense about the amplifier, but what is OP?

Also just for normal speakers, wich amp should i choose??
1-Onkyo TX-4500MKII
2-Rotel RA-820A
3-Toshiba SA-735

Thanks again!

OP="Original Poster", i.e. the person starting the thread.

As for that amplifier list, none are great, none are horrible. So long as the output power isn't too high or too low for the speakers you're talking about (you don't specify) it probably doesn't make any significant difference.

Back