Monitor Question

saads

Baka
I'm looking to buy a new pair of monitors, my budget is $400 for the pair. Not a lot I know, but that's all I have right now. I know there's no "best" pair under 400 :p but I want to know about your experience with budget monitors, specifically Alesis MK2, Tannoy Reveal501, RP6, HS50M, Fostex MP1, etc. I know you get what you pay for, but I don't have a lot of options for now :( I'm going to go listen to them all but I also want some feedback from people who have used them.
Secondly, I've heard that a monitor with a 5" woofer won't give a good representation of the bass in the mix, so a subwoofer is a good idea with the monitors. What I'm wondering is, how do I know what volume to set my subwoofer at, to know I'm getting an accurate image. What do you guys do? Listen to some reference songs you know and set the volume according to that? Or should I just get a monitor with an 8" woofer and forget the sub. Thanks a bunch.

Mackie MR5s are very good within that price range. But if possible, find a store (such as Guitar Center) that will let you listen to several different brands, and see what sounds best to you. Also, wherever you buy, make sure you know what their return policy is. If you get a set of monitors into your own personal studio space and they just don't do it for you, you'll want to have the option of taking them back.

I'm using fostex pm0.5, I'm pleased with their sound.
It got 5" woofer, but I think its enough tho, I dont need an extra sub to push the bass in my mix.....but then it depends on what kind of music you workin' on.
For me, I'm making mostly pop and rock, so I don't really need the real deep bass sound like in techno or down-tempo stuff.

Back