Monitor Question

Twinhit

You gotta speak up!
Here's one asked on behalf of a friend.
He wants to know if you can also use studio monitors for your home entertainment center's speaker system.

Yea? Nay? Pros? and Cons?

General explanation of studio application monitor's specific advantages would be good, if possible.
(my understanding is that studio monitors attempt to project a sound that allows the engineer to determine mixing tasks more accurately than run of the mill speakers can afford.)

I know there are some that disagree, but generally, NS10's are "the little, crappy speakers" -- Not what most would use for mains. They were cheap, crappy home stereo speakers before they put a "STUDIO MONITOR" sticker on the panel. They're also fairly worthless in the mid/far field (as basically any nearfield will be).

If you're talking about using them in the near field, watching movies or what not on your computer, that's fine. If you're talking about actually using near-field monitors in an entertainment center, you're probably going to find the system wanting.

I've used 824's in the mid-field, but I couldn't stand how they sounded.

This thread could get slippery...

Here's one asked on behalf of a friend.
He wants to know if you can also use studio monitors for your home entertainment center's speaker system.

Yea? Nay? Pros? and Cons?

General explanation of studio application monitor's specific advantages would be good, if possible.
(my understanding is that studio monitors attempt to project a sound that allows the engineer to determine mixing tasks more accurately than run of the mill speakers can afford.)

I don't think you would have a problem using studio monitors in an entertainment system, but I think there are cheaper solutions that might be better suited for the sound that goes on in an entertainment environment. That's just my opinion.

Last edited:
Back