monitor question

truth_lyricist

I'm finna purchase a pair of monitors. Will I need any special cords or pieces to connect the monitors to my pc? Or will it automatically come with some.

If you have a dedicated recording soundcard, you'll likely need balanced TRS (or XLR) cables to connect your monitors. Expect them to be a seperate purchase.

What monitors, what sound card/interface are going to have/use? You may need TRS to TRS, or RC to TS, or RCA to XLR, or TRS to XLR...

Those look like they are speakers, not really monitors-- they don't have internal amplifiers, so you'd need an amplifier and then speaker cables (most likely)-- maybe banana plugs (doesn't really seem to say) to hook them up. They might not be particularly accurate and might not translate well (mixes might sound good on them but not on other speakers). Plus it looks like shipping is $40. After you figure in the cost of buying an amplifier and the shipping, IMHO I wonder if you might be better off just buying something like the M-Audio Studiopros (3 or 4 series), the Tascam VL-S21 (a little less power, but good press and it has a subwoofer), or some other monitors in that price range-- $99 (free shipping from most retailers).

kojdogg said:
Those look like they are speakers, not really monitors-- they don't have internal amplifiers, so you'd need an amplifier and then speaker cables (most likely)-- maybe banana plugs (doesn't really seem to say) to hook them up. They might not be particularly accurate and might not translate well (mixes might sound good on them but not on other speakers). Plus it looks like shipping is $40. After you figure in the cost of buying an amplifier and the shipping, IMHO I wonder if you might be better off just buying something like the M-Audio Studiopros (3 or 4 series), the Tascam VL-S21 (a little less power, but good press and it has a subwoofer), or some other monitors in that price range-- $99 (free shipping from most retailers).

hmm...wat about these then http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Edirol-MA7A-Stereo-Micro-Monitors?sku=603677

From the picture, your soundcard has 1/4" balanced outputs.

Your speakers on the other hand....

I suggest you make a list of all monitors in your price range, then google as many reviews as you can.
Then, buy the ones that seem like the best fit for you.

Personally, I'd consider the Tascams. They have less wattage, but they have a subwoofer, which would probably help you to get a good sense if your beats use sub (or dub) bass or a lot of 808-type kicks. The wattage might be a problem, but might not be if you're working in an apartment or other non-studio environment where you can't crank stuff up anyway.
I definitely agree with Jamz0r's suggestion to do some Google research and read all of the reviews you can. I do that with every piece of gear I buy.

kojdogg said:
Personally, I'd consider the Tascams. They have less wattage, but they have a subwoofer, which would probably help you to get a good sense if your beats use sub (or dub) bass or a lot of 808-type kicks. The wattage might be a problem, but might not be if you're working in an apartment or other non-studio environment where you can't crank stuff up anyway.
I definitely agree with Jamz0r's suggestion to do some Google research and read all of the reviews you can. I do that with every piece of gear I buy.

cool I feel you...but my budget is $100 and wouldn't I need to buy two of them since only one of them is for $100! But I was thinking of buying the http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...rofessional-Desktop-Audio-Monitors?sku=603709 because I looked up on some reviews and liked what I was hearing about them. But can somebody tell me what cord do i need to buy in order to hook them up to the computer?

This system:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...ed-Monitor-Speaker-System-with-Sub?sku=607979
is a 2.1 (2 speakers plus a subwoofer). You only need one subwoofer in a system because the lower bass frequencies are non-directional
Includes 2 satellite speakers (the two flat surfaced speakers that look kind of like book ends-- they act as your main monitor pair) and the subwoofer for $100 and I've seen it on ebay for like $80.
Most likely you're going to use either trs to trs 1/4" connectors or trs to xlr connectors to hook them up. The 1212m has trs outs.
Definitely read up as much as you can on all of these-- if there are any questions you can't get answered by reading reviews, or the companies' information on the products (you can get manuals for most stuff on company websites), then you can always email the different companies' tech support and ask.

Back