Monitor Placement

I-AM

Hello All,

I just bought some Event 20/20's and I have seen some studios where the monitors are laying sideways and the computer monitor is on top of the monitors.
At first glance, I thought this was crazy, but with my very small room and setup, I am actually considering it....if it is safe.
Another reason why I am considering this is because as I am listening to the monitors, it sounds like the left side is a little louder than the left and I have tried moving them around a bit to no avail.
So before I pre-judge this type of set-up, and of course blow something up, I wanted to ask the genius' on this site.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Are these the Event 20/20 BAS's?
If so, there a volume or trim adjustment on the back of the monitor to adjust them if one side sounds louder than the other.

If not, it sounds like you need to adjust your amplifier.

The ideal placement is to have them at 60 degrees from the listener and position them so that the speakers and listeners head form and equilateral triangle.

NeuzGrouper said:
Hey Michael - If the two points of the triangle are behind you, as versus in front of you, would that be bad?

That would mean the speakers are behind you, lol. You are one point and the speakers are the other two. Yes it would be bad if the speakers are pointing away from you too much. You will not get the right balance of highs with the lows.

Thanks. I kinda thought it would be an issue to have em behind me, but was still hoping.

It looks like I am now on the quest for steel boxes to shield my speakers.... old bus station lockers come to mind....

It's not necessary to use a box, a simple plate between speaker and monitor will work fine. It just has to be steel, not aluminum, brass, bronze, stainless, or anything else that doesn't go "klunk" or "klang" when brought near a magnet...

Horizontal placement of speakers isn't a good idea. Your head moves much more from side to side than up and down when mixing (I hope) if your woofs and tweets are placed horizontal, you'll get more phasing problems when moving your head from side to side.

The equilateral triangle for head/speakers works best if you put one point of the triangle BEHIND your head (just barely) with the other two points of the triangle at the tweets, with the (preferably) tweets at ear level.

If the speakers have to be placed higher or lower, they should be tilted so that the tweets still point at your ears, with the front baffles of the speakers perpendicular to the line between speakers and ears.

When non-bogus speaker designers claim their product is "time aligned" or "phase corrected", it only applies if the baffles are centered on your ears and perpendicular to the line of reception... Steve

Wow. Thanks a million for the reply!

I was in the process of making a list of stuff to buy to make a shelf for under the PC monitors, for the speaker monitors to go on. I was going to lay them down. I am still going to need to rig something up for the spekaers to sit on, but the congfiguration will be completely different now. You just saved me untold headaches, time and money on making a setup that would have hampered me.

I am glad I checked in here again before buying stuff!

Back