Monitor Placement??

i now have my monitors 72" from each other.. damn it sound different.., but it sounds good..
i have to get to use to this

Guys, the key here is not how far apart are your monitors, but rather, is the triangle formed by the two monitors and your head EQUILATERAL?

72" seems a bit long distance for nearfields, getting closer to midfield operation. Probably work OK, IF, and ONLY if, your head is 72" away from each monitor. Otherwise, you'll get TOO much spread and screw up panning decisions at least. Put them at the front edge of any shelf, maybe even hanging over a bit, to eliminate any sources of early reflections.

Boray, If you'll check back on some of my posts, you'll find your "original" idea about the mirror, only not necessarily a small one - the only other difference is, I referred to it as "one of the oldest tricks in the book", or something similar - I think Edison thought of it right after he claimed to have invented the light bulb. Same with the mono check for phasing - pick up any book from any half-assed wanna-be author on audio engineering, and odds are you'll find that "revelation" somewhere...

Damn. Bruce, for once I'm starting to think you're NOT being overly irritable... :=)

knightfly, thanks, good to know that I "came up" with some methods that others approve of for a change! ;) Even if that's the oldest tricks in the book, this means that you can learn new (or old ;) ) stuff just by thinking...

/Anders

Your all wrong. If they are nearfield monitors, you need to get them as near to your ears as possible. I would suggest you place them about 12" apart facing each other, turn them up full blast and stick your head in between them. Then after about 10 minutes, take some aspirin, go lie down on the sofa, and try to get rid of that headache. But what do I know?

Wouldn't that be called "headfield" monitoring? And you're right, you don't even know pain killers - After that procedure it would require 4 Ibuprofen and at least one new studio toy to get rid of MY headache... :=)

Oh, and I NEVER have more than 2 glasses of wine a night, so how come everybody's always saying "What a WINO..."

I went back to a horizontal placement. Does anyone want to know why? ...or would that just be a waste of time?

/Anders

Back