Monitor placement, procedures for small room

Norris Shepherd

So I've got my little room sorta set up... and my monitors (M-audio BX5a - they have a bass port in the back) are on monitor stands.. but they are about a foot from the wall. I know that this is a no-no (can mess up bass response), but if you look at the attached diagram, you'll see i don't have much option.

Question is:

Should i just leave the walls behind them 'as is', or is it better to treat the walls directly behind them with DIY broadband absorbers?

StudioTop2_mon.JPG

.. actually the listening position might be a bit further back, and the speakers a little bit further off the wall... but i hope you get the idea. And there are doors that close on all those openings. 3 doors and 2 windows in a 8' by 12' room.. yep.

Last edited:
Hi!
My room has a similar size and speakers are almost touching the front wall (a window, in fact).
Just my experience:the more treatment (4" or more) "around" the speakers -corners,behind,beside,above-in a room that size the better.
About the question,I use a 4" panel centered in the front wall,and it helps to flat 200hz and above.

Ciro

Last edited:
Thanks CIRO.

I've read that ideally, you would have at least 3' from your monitor and the walls (not possible for me). If not possible, put the monitors directly against the wall (not really possible either).

When i listen now, sometimes i think i hear the low end doing funny things... and i suspect it's because of my monitor placement.

Since there are 'ports' at the back of these speakers, I'm wondering if i try to deaden the sound on the walls immediately behind them if that will help the problem, make it worse, or create a different problem. :(

When i listen now, sometimes i think i hear the low end doing funny things... and i suspect it's because of my monitor placement.

Seems a common lack of treatment side effect: strong peaks and nulls (sometimes +/-15 db deviation in the lows -or worst)and long ringing time.
Another thing to consider is the (very important)symetry in the front wall;
<lack of> usually will cause a very different response between the speakers /not symetric reflection points,bad stereo image...

Anyway,you need to measure the response with a software to know what is happening,what the best mix/speakers position ..(I use this,is free)
http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/

I've read that ideally, you would have at least 3' from your monitor and the walls (not possible for me). If not possible, put the monitors directly against the wall (not really possible either).

I´m not so sure;in theory,it will only move the null caused by speakers/front wall distance to another point (worst,for being in the 100hz range).
In practice, with a good amount of bass/broadband traps and measurements you´ll find the 'ideal' position and this and the other nulls start to flat the more treatment you have.

Much more excellent information here:
http://www.realtraps.com/art_room-setup.htm
http://www.gikacoustics.com/education.html

Last edited:
Back