Monitor mix/connections Firebox->MG 10/2

akpcep

After a couple of years happily recording away (ignorance is bliss) using my seasound Solo EX, I thought I would upgrade to some modern gear, and work in a more "real studio" fashion, by getting an up-to-date interface and an analogue mixer.

So, after reading this place and getting some advice I got a Firebox and a Yamaha MG 10/2 mixer. Both seem like great bits of gear!

However, although I'm not technically a "newbie", I now have so many inputs/ outputs/sends etc I'm a bit confused. I really want to make the most of my gear, rather than using one input in the firebox and continually plugging and unplugging stuff. Basically I want to route all my instruments through the mixer, so I can leave them all plugged in and just turn them up/select them when required.

I've tried drawing it out on paper, but I'm still a bit confused. The firebox has loads of separate outputs, which I understand I can select in the software mixer, so I can send the output to various different places in the mixer. But how do I stop the Firebox output getting back into the Firebox, obviously I just want to send the instrument being played back into the relevant input.

Sorry if this is really tedious newb-stuff - if any of you want to tersely post a URL to a good tutorial on setting up a small home studio that would be just as good..

Anyone? I'm assuming it's somehow possible to have a separate monitor mix with the MG 10/2, if not - that's a bit of a bummer.

My other option is to use the mixer to group all my instruments together, insert outboard effects etc, then just take the ST OUT to inputs 3 and 4 of the Firebox (the line ins) then I can monitor via the Firebox and it's software mixer.

I don't really know which is the "best" or "right" way to do it tho.

Back