Monitor help for newbie

hotwatertim72

Hey guys, new to the forum and am very soon going to be buying my whole set, complete with a firepod! One thing i need with it though, is a set of good, but inexpensively priced monitors. I'm sure everyone here knows what i'm talking about. Now if only i knew which monitors were the best with a decent price. My price range is anywhere from $100 to $200 for a set. Thanks

If you can see your way clear to spending about $300 you can get a pair of Wharfedale 8.2 active (powered) monitors -- powered monitors are great because they have a well-matched power amp built right in making it unnecessary to buy an external one.

IMHO, spending large on the firepod and small on the monitors is doing things backwards. If you want to get started right, reverse that part of your spending plan.

yep, the most commonly overlooked piece of gear by the new musician. took me quite awhile to realize whats the point in thousands in gear if you can't hear it the way its supposed to be heard.

Hey, Hotwater Tim. Welcome to the forum. Head on over to the post down from yours (by Coolsoundman), which asks the same question, same price range. Then use the search function to find hours of reading about this same issue of budget monitors. Lots there--I know because I used it prior to buying my own monitors.

Obvious Tip: Read carefully but critically. Then listen to gear yourself, if possible, before deciding. Also, if possible, buy the top 2-3 contenders and compare them at home before returning the losers. Nothing beats this final step, in my opinion.

Best,
J.

cheap monitors

hotwatertim72 said:
Hey guys, new to the forum and am very soon going to be buying my whole set, complete with a firepod! One thing i need with it though, is a set of good, but inexpensively priced monitors. I'm sure everyone here knows what i'm talking about. Now if only i knew which monitors were the best with a decent price. My price range is anywhere from $100 to $200 for a set. Thanks

i just picked up some M-Audio SP5B(BX5) for $165 pair at a local pawn shop.
one area to look.
great monitors with a sub. without a sub there's a lot missing.

$200 is really hard you may want to save up.
$330 for Yorkvilles is bottom line-entry level.
I'd stay away from the Wharfedales unless you have "repair shipping
money included".

coolcat...have there been that many quality issues with the wharfedales to now start looking at the yorkvilles instead. I was dead set on a pair of wharfies in the next couple of weeks, but there have been a bunch of posts about problems and the yorkvilles get a lot of good press. What are your thoughts?

I got a pair of Event PS6 monitors on eBay for $275.

I think you'll be hard-pressed to get something worthwhile for less.

apl said:
I got a pair of Event PS6 monitors on eBay for $275.

Pesronally i dont really trust used gear, if those are used, especially monitor or speakers you have no idea what may have happened to them. To me sound is the most important thing so if i were to be buying monitors id save up and get a really nice pair check out event they have a lot of nice things for around 400 dollars.

hmmm?

jabulani jonny said:
coolcat...have there been that many quality issues with the wharfedales to now start looking at the yorkvilles instead. I was dead set on a pair of wharfies in the next couple of weeks, but there have been a bunch of posts about problems and the yorkvilles get a lot of good press. What are your thoughts?

you can read around here yourself and make your own opinion.
if your looking for statistics maybe ask Deepwater he'll tell you %of returns.
(probably not recommend FedEx..hehehe) It's not like 50% but it's a
possibility. i'm guessing he'll give it to you straight.

If you get a good working pair,
alot seem to be very happy with 'em, many as their first monitors.

i've not read any QC issues with the York monitors, same price and same amount of "positive threads from people who have tried many brands" IMO.

logically thinking, (which i don't always follow!!)
1)i would go to a brick n' mortar store and listen to 'em.
2)Then take 'em home and really listen to 'em.
3)Maybe try some others at home and compare,
if the store has a good return policy.
(no shipping $$).

not using logic, and gambling...you may score 'em cheap used and save up
for a mic or pre-amp..or acoustic stuff...or... (drifts off into fantasy studioland...... :)

do the Wharfs sound like $1,000 speakers?
i wouldn't have a clue what $1,000 monitors sound like.
but I don't buy that sht... did Massive throw away his B&W 801's the minute he plugged in his Wharfs?

does a C1 $200 mic sound like a Nuie U87?
do digital units really have that Tube sound??

good luck...fellow gearhead!!!

Back