monitor dilemma

scottn5388

Hello All,

I am going to invest in some Ysm1 monitors here before too long and I'm not sure if i should get the passives+amp or the actives.

Here is how I have everything set up:

Mixer Outs>Audiophile Ins
Audiophile outs>Tape in on Mixer (Behringer mx1604a)

When I am tracking I monitor the tape in, and the main mix of the mixer(whatever I am recording). I have everything in the same room so I have to turn of my speakers so there is no bleed in the mics. (They are just cheap computer speakers). I can then control the volume in the tracking cans using the Control Room/Phones Volume knob....which changes the volume of both the speakers (which are off when tracking) and the headphones.

So here's problems with both ways....

Active Monitors:

Is there a way I could flip the monitors off when I am tracking?

Passives and Power Amp:

I would have to run the audiophile outs into the power amp...which would prevent me from hearing stuff from the audiophile outs while tracking. What do you suggest I do? Get Y cables for the audiophile outs, so that I can run the outs into both the amp and the mixer?

Thanks For Your Help,
Scott

Yo Scott:

If you get the passives, and an amp, you should have a cut/off switch which would let you shut down the monitors.

I have my York passives hooked into a Yam amp and I can shut them off any time.

Now, with the actives, I'm sure there will be a way to turn them off, like a switch on the speakers?

I'm not sure since I've never seen a pair of York actives. But, someone out here should be able to set it straight.

Can you audition the speakers and see what will work for you?

I'm not sure of your recording gear....if you are doing PC recording, I'm less sure.

Green Hornet:D :D :p :p :cool:

Hey, thanks for your reply...

If i did go with the passives though...I would have to run the outs of my soundcard into the amp, which would prevent me from running them into the mixer. Could I use a Y cable to solve this problem? Would a Y cable degrade the sound quality?

I would like to go for the passives over the actives. It seems like I would have more flexibility to upgrade later on when I decide I need better monitors.

Thanks Again,
Scott

Sorry for double posting....but I think the Y cable thing might not be clear....

I have a left and right output on my M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard....I want to run these two outs into both my mixer and into the power amp. This is what I would use the Y cable for...and I am wondering if that would be ok to do.

Thanks A Lot,
Scott

I was browsing some other threads and came across this deal....http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...7066079938/g=home/search/detail/base_id/56830

Supposedly these monitors are exactly the same...I went to the websites of both monitors and they have the exact same specs. It seems others on this bbs have had good things to say about these.

So would using the Y cable work with this setup?

Also what guage wire should i use for the Y cables and the cables from the amp to the monitors?

Thanks Again,
Scott

Back