Monitor Choice, Home/Pro

technominds

Hey guys.

I'm looking to replace my Fostex PM2 monitors with something much more high-end.

I've been recommended some Dynaudio BM5a's for around £850, as well as some KRK VXT8's at the same price.

I've also managed to find some Mackie HR824's for a very decent £500.

So i'm a little stuck.

I had a listen to the dynaudio's and i'm not too keen. While very flat, it didn't have enough low end and they really don't pump.. seemed to distort when going loud.

I also listened to some Adam A7's and was really not impressed. They sounded really fake and the high end was extremely harsh.

I'm leaning towards the VXT's and think I may have found them second hand for £600, so I think that is my favorite so far.

What do you guys think would be best?

There's two sides to studio monitors:

One part is that you want something that's accurate.
Another is you want something that's a known standard.

I've been using Yamaha NS-10M's for 25 years, and I'm hooked on them, although I wasn't happy til I got a sub working with them.

On the low end side I've thought about Yamaha hs80m's. On the high end Adams were on my list. Not that I've sampled any of these. I have an M-Audio BX8 pair myself. I think that my 4' magnepans are more detailed. Except for the weak low end. But the BX8's are useful for identifying wind noise, mic rattles, handling noise, and other things that might not go noticed. And they're good enough to show differences in most mic shootouts. Mackie 824's would probably be a step up for me. I'm not familiar with those Fostex monitors, so I don't really know what would be a step up. I tend to like the 8"-ish speakers. More low end, less brittle high end. But my BX8's can come off a little muddy at times.

There's two sides to studio monitors:

One part is that you want something that's accurate.
Another is you want something that's a known standard.

I've been using Yamaha NS-10M's for 25 years, and I'm hooked on them, although I wasn't happy til I got a sub working with them.

Aren't NS-10's supposed to be for reference only? I mean, how do you get anything accurate using them; they are renowned for sound completely 'average'.. thats why they are a great reference pair. I can't imagine using them to do anything with detail!

Aren't NS-10's supposed to be for reference only? I mean, how do you get anything accurate using them; they are renowned for sound completely 'average'.. thats why they are a great reference pair. I can't imagine using them to do anything with detail!

I have mixed on NS-10's and if the mix sounds good on NS-10's it will sound good anywhere. Personally I don't like them but there is a reason they are so popular amongst recording studios.

I have mixed on NS-10's and if the mix sounds good on NS-10's it will sound good anywhere. Personally I don't like them but there is a reason they are so popular amongst recording studios.

Yes i understand the reason behind NS10's. But surely you need a more accurate speaker to compromise between the 'average' sound of the NS10's. If you mixed exclusively on NS10's and then played the mix on a top end sound system then it will lack a lot of accuracy.

Just my opinion!

I have several high end systems to check with...the NS10s seem to be the most reliable at bringing those things out in the open.

Back