monitor amp question(what shall I do?)

earwhig

I'm getting a pair of passive monitors. The only thing that
I have to use as an amp right now is an Onkyo stereo tuner/amplifier.

Is this a legit option for amplification of nearfield monitors?

Will there be any problems in using this?

2nd: The only kind of outputs are the unshielded clipping kind for speaker wire. Is there any kind of adapter or way that I can rig (for lack of a better term) plain old speaker wire to xrl or 1/4?

-or come to think of it, I also have a yorkville powered micromix sp 12 audiopro mixer that I might be able to use.

What is my best option?

I won't say that "power is power".....(though it sounds like something I'd say! :D )

In a home studio enviroment we sometimes have to improvise while waiting for our gear budget to catch up. Using your receiver as a power source doesn't really pose any sound quality issues, but you'll want to keep your bass, treble and filters set "flat" so as not to color the sound beyond any EQing you've got dialed in at your mixer.

You may have to do some wire stripping to get your monitors plugged in. I've been buying cables lately and haven't seen anything smaller than RCA/XLR available.

Better to run real monitors with a stereo, than home speakers through a rack amp!

Good luck with it! ;)

Buy some speaker cable with 1/4" ends and cut off the plugs on one end. Strip the wires and hook it up to the amp. Just be sure to be consistant on the +/- for both speakers.

DO NOT USE regular 1/4 cable. Make sure it is actual speaker cable.

Back