Monitor amp issue

ZiM_XG27

http://youtu.be/xL2e_RbrR_4

I can't return this amp. Had it too long but it's new. (Sat in my closet for 9 months before I got around to opening it.) It worked fine for all of 5 seconds. Now I know it's not running monitors that are taxing it or not able to handle the load. Wattage and ohms match just fine. Not a noob with setup, but am with repairs. Monitors work just fine with all my other amps including another epq2000. SO... What could be causing this issue in the video? Fuse is good.

Last edited:
What's the thing covering the binding posts?

It looks like you've got the bridge switch in the correct position, Stereo, but that would be something to check "just in case".

I'd start with one cable/speaker connected at a time and do the following (if you haven't done it already):

Meter your wedge through the cable. An 8ohm speaker generally measures around 6.2ohms DC. If it measures a lot lower check the cable and wedge individually. Or try swapping out the cable and wedge (one then the other), and try the same cable/wedge combo on another amp.

Otherwise it looks bad.

Yeah, not looking too good.

Hate to ask the obvious, but those black and blue speaker connectors: you do know how they work? You turned them until they clicked and locked on both the speakers and on the monitors?

And are you in the US? Make sure the power setting matches for the country you are in. Switch should be right next to where the power plugs in on the back.

And is the whining noise coming out of the speakers? Yikes.

The covering on the posts is just that. If you took it off you'd see the posts as they would be on any amp (and I have just to make sure). Nothing wrong there. I've been setting up sound systems for a long while now. Well aware of how speakon connectors work. Not saying I know everything, but I got this one down. Lol. Power setting does indeed match my household power output. I've tried different cables/wedges with no change. I've tried the same cables/wedges with different amps and they work fine. I even have another amp identical to this one that still works great (hence the reason I left this in the closet for so long). Yikes is what I thought. Just hoping someone had a similar experience and easy fix.

As an ex-electronic tech the usual steps to troubleshoot electronics.

1) Run it as little as possible while troubleshooting. First open the case being very careful not to kill yourself since its an amp- they can shock even if they are off.. you are inexperienced so at second thought..
2) Take it to an electronic tech.

As an ex-electronic tech the usual steps to troubleshoot electronics.

1) Run it as little as possible while troubleshooting. First open the case being very careful not to kill yourself since its an amp- they can shock even if they are off.. you are inexperienced so at second thought..
2) Take it to an electronic tech.

Just watched the vid...As a CURRENT electronics tech...Yes! FFS take it to a tech!

Dave.

Back