Monitor advise

I have a chance to pickup some used monitors but I wont be able to hear them for myself the first pair are Behringer Truth B2031A Powered Studio Monitors for $200 and the second pair are Mackie MR5 for $150. can anyone give me some input on what the better deal would be? I'm kind of leaning toward the Mackie just because of the name and they are $50 cheaper.

I've owned Mackie MR5's. They're very solid monitors for the price level they're in.

Stay away from Behringer, go with the mackies!

dan

To be crucially honest, it really makes not the slightest bit of difference in this case. We know zilchopovski about the speakers, nada about the room they're going to be used in, zero about your hearing and level of expertise in things aural. It's often a toss up so you're just as well off taking a gamble and making a guess.
Whichever ones you get, the important thing will be to get used to them.....

Actually, I've heard a lot of good things about those Behringer Truth's. At their price point, they're supposed to be the "bees knees".

Then again, I used some Behringer MS40's to mix a couple albums with, along with lots of burned reference CD's, etc., etc. But the results came out pretty good.

Then again, I've never seen any bees with knees and I heard those Mackies can be overrated.

Actually, I've heard a lot of good things about those Behringer Truth's. At their price point, they're supposed to be the "bees knees".

Then again, I've never seen any bees with knees
It took me about 20 years before I realized that "the bees knees" was a play on "the business", English slang meaning "bloody good".

It took me about 20 years before I realized that "the bees knees" was a play on "the business", English slang meaning "bloody good".
The funny thing is that on this side of the pond, giving someone "the business" usually means giving them either a hard time or a line of BS, or both. But the bees knees is still the cat's meow ;).

But regarding the speaker choose, spindle, grimmy hit the nail on the head in post #4. Get the ones you want and as long as their sound doesn't actually *bother* you when you get them home, you'll learn to both use them and like them.

G.

To be crucially honest, it really makes not the slightest bit of difference in this case. We know zilchopovski about the speakers, nada about the room they're going to be used in, zero about your hearing and level of expertise in things aural. It's often a toss up so you're just as well off taking a gamble and making a guess.
Whichever ones you get, the important thing will be to get used to them.....

thats why id go with the $50 saving...that and coz im scottish :)

I can see where there would be a lot of confusion regarding the use of low budget studio monitors. Its my own opinion through years of experience that higher end (expensive) monitors are for the lazy or overly efficient people. When a rich man invests into a business and expects a million dollar product, you know they are going to buy the most expensive stuff. Pro tools is a great example of this kind of nonsense. But it doesn't matter what you buy. If your ears can't hear, don't expect to get a great result. The only important thing to consider with studio monitors is the presence of the entire frequency spectrum. How can one know this? There are a number of ways and there are an equal number of opinions and contradictions. I trust my own opinion because my experience has already taught me how to create a high quality product using pretty much anything thats in front of me. You can easily do your reading to find what the majority say is a fine budget monitor. BUY THAT. Then make sure you treat your room acoustically, otherwise you are wasting your time. The only thing that matters is how your ears percieve the sound in the position you are sitting at. Post treatment analysis will ensure a "fairly" balanced sound. The only thing that validates "flatness" is the assurance that all required frequencies are present in order to be heard and altered. If there are dips in a frequency, you can bet your mixes will have a major problem later. But to do a lengthy comparison between Monitor "A" "B" "C" an so forth is a waste of time. Chances are, all those monitors will be "useable", providing you do your homework and get them tuned in.

But the bottom line is this. If you are a newbie trying to buy into the hype of getting the perfect monitor to stick in front of you and expect magic, you will no be pleased! Nothing like that exists in this world. When I started mixing years ago, I used a cheap pair of Polk pc speakers and RTA'd them to the room. I am certain that some "expert" would go into a spill telling me about room acoustics and so on. I know this. But I can bet that the sound above my pc chair was fairly balanced and translated well elsewhere. Of course, using at least 2 more reference points helps a lot. But you don't have to be rich, and you don't have to be high budget to put out commercial quality sound. Only lazy people who push buttons think that way. And they infest the major studios.

Look at the frequency charts on the speakers you're thinking about buying, you'll want to try to find a speaker that is wide in frequency response(40 hz 20 khz would be ideal) and the graph should show the speaker as flat as possible. If there isn't a graph it should tell you numerically, If a speaker is flat the response would read 40hz - 20 khz +/- 0. If a speaker is close to flat it would read 40 hz - 20 khz +/- 1 db. if the speaker has mild coloring of the sound you would have +/- 2db, if there is major coloring of the sound you'd see +/- 3db or more. Stay away from those!

In the low budget price range you'll likely find some that are 50 hz-20 khz +/-1, 2 or 3db.

It is important to listen to them before you buy them and even more important to make sure your room is acoustically sound otherwise everything else is pointless.

The Behringer's have problems with their power amps blowing out as well as distortion when turned up loud, the Mackie;s are good and I personally like the KRK Rokit's, they have a full natural sound to them.

Back