Moniters?

Brad_C

I am slowly buliting my own home studio. Well anyways i was wondering what would be a good set of moniters that are active and cost under 200 bucks canadian.

Not sure what the exchange rate is... but tomorrow I'm getting some new KRK RP6's - I'll let you know how they sound ;)

Though if I remember correctly the exchange rate isnt too far off from US currency so that will keep you around 200 US dollars....

I'd really suggest spending at least an extra hundred, but for the price range of 200... I guess maybe some M-Audio DX4's - but I have absolutely no experience with them... so I'd read up on some reviews - or wait for someone else to stop in this thread.

DX4 are ok if you absolutely have no choice but to spend the least possible amount of money. but the lows are terrible, as you would expect from a speaker of its size. but i guess theres nothing really in that immediate price range that would be any better. they will probably be better than headphones or regular computer speakers, but get used to trimming down the lows in the mix or else your mixes will sound way too bassy on other speakers.

wtwhtalmh said:
Not sure what the exchange rate is... but tomorrow I'm getting some new KRK RP6's - I'll let you know how they sound ;)

KRK RP6 monitors are awesome for the price. You'll love them! They are the biggest selling medium-budget studio monitors in the shop I work at from time to time.
For near-field monitoring in a small room, they are the biz! :)

(Got the V-series ones, myself. Overkill? Probably. I am a gear slut after all and I have a reputation to maintain ;) )

Dags

Dags said:
KRK RP6 monitors are awesome for the price. You'll love them! They are the biggest selling medium-budget studio monitors in the shop I work at from time to time.
For near-field monitoring in a small room, they are the biz! :)

(Got the V-series ones, myself. Overkill? Probably. I am a gear slut after all and I have a reputation to maintain ;) )

Dags

They ended up not having the RP6's in stock... and I guess they never do because he didnt even know they had an RP6... they only had the RP4 and RP8

Anyhow, he ended up cutting me a deal on the V4 - and although in the store the thought of how small they were with the 4 inch woofer scared me... but now that I've got them home - they sound great. I'm definately happy with the purchase.

wtwhtalmh said:
They ended up not having the RP6's in stock... and I guess they never do because he didnt even know they had an RP6... they only had the RP4 and RP8

Anyhow, he ended up cutting me a deal on the V4 - and although in the store the thought of how small they were with the 4 inch woofer scared me... but now that I've got them home - they sound great. I'm definately happy with the purchase.

Jesus, you went with a V4 on a $200 CAD budget? Man, he must have cut you some deal.

Lots of people rave about those monitors. They're a bit small for my tastes (more in power handling than frequency), but I did like them a lot in the store.

Yareek said:
Jesus, you went with a V4 on a $200 CAD budget? Man, he must have cut you some deal.

Lots of people rave about those monitors. They're a bit small for my tastes (more in power handling than frequency), but I did like them a lot in the store.

I'm not the one on the 200 dollar budget ;)

I spent $440 US on a pair of V4s - sticker was $500

Oh and I'm wtwhtalmh.... That was a old old username of mine that i used to browse these boards, but now that I got my stuff I'm gonna start posting more so I made this account instead.

Brady said:
I'm not the one on the 200 dollar budget ;)

I spent $440 US on a pair of V4s - sticker was $500

Oh and I'm wtwhtalmh.... That was a old old username of mine that i used to browse these boards, but now that I got my stuff I'm gonna start posting more so I made this account instead.

OH, that explains it! :o

Well, if you're still shopping, take a look at M-Audio BX5's. You might be able to get some closeout or used monitors for around $200 USD. Also, Yorksville passives are supposed to be pretty good around that price, but you'd need an amp.

I don't really know that there are any $150 USD or less active monitors I'd recommend. Most of them are just too colored or cheap. A lot of people say you can't even get a decent pair of actives under $1000, but I think you can certainly mix on a lot of speakers.

ST6's or ST8's might work...I think they are $150 to $200 USD, but they are passive. I know that Green likes them, but I personally thought they were terrible. Might have been my amp, but I doubt it.

wtwhtalmh said:

Bummer about the Rokit 6s not being in stock. Was there much of a price difference between the V4s and the Rokit 8s?

They are very nice small format speakers! Though you might want to look at getting a sub sometime in the future to help work out what's happening down below 100Hz.

Well done on getting such a good price! :)
Dags

Just to clarify again before people read this - I am wtwhtalmh....

Dags said:
Bummer about the Rokit 6s not being in stock. Was there much of a price difference between the V4s and the Rokit 8s?

They were actually the same price ($249). Since the RP6's were not avail he offered to give me the RP8 for $200 ea (price of the RP6). - I was going to go for that, but I was kind of afraid the woofers might be too large for my room, also my desk isn't quite that large, and those speakers are pretty big. So instead I asked what he could do for me on the V4s - I got lucky and took the last two they had in stock

They are very nice small format speakers! Though you might want to look at getting a sub sometime in the future to help work out what's happening down below 100Hz.

Yeah - I've had fun mixing over the past day, Already a huge diff in my mixes - before these, all I had was some ugly boston acoustic speakers. I'll probably be going a few months before worrying about the sub, since the music I'm mixing isn't very bass intensive, but I will definately be looking to add on to this set up in the future. These V4s are essentially to hold me over untill I could afford a pair of HR624s - I know I could have waited a while and just bought those - but I need something to mix with untill then.

Brady said:
They were actually the same price ($249). Since the RP6's were not avail he offered to give me the RP8 for $200 ea (price of the RP6).

Far out! I'll have to start shopping where you go! :D

These V4s are essentially to hold me over untill I could afford a pair of HR624s - I know I could have waited a while and just bought those - but I need something to mix with untill then.

Chances are you won't *ever* replace the V4s. :) They really are top notch.
You could always use them as your second pair of reference monitors to check mixes on if you do decide to get a larger main pair.

Well done indeed.
Dags

I dont know if its just me, but I compared V6/V4/Rocket6/5 and I liked the rocket 5 the best, even though they were the cheapest and thats what I have now.

Back