Mom Passed

domvac

On Tuesday morning, at 6:55 A.M., my 94 year old Mom passed in her sleep. She was an incredible person, she loved life and people and music and poetry.

When she was 91 yrs., she wrote two blues songs and a poem about her dad and growing up in the coal mines in Alberta. Mom had crippling arthritis in her hands and feet and the disease robbed her of her ability to play the piano for any length of time. She could still play but her left hand was not able to do much. We decided that we wanted to record her songs and poem and she came over to my humble 8 track studio and in one night, we recorded her songs. She played the piano and then went into the iso booth to sing her songs. My sisters and my brother and I added our simple back ups and supporting instruments. We didn't want to get to complicated so as to preserve the simple beauty of her songs. I watched as she played the piano, literally throwing her left hand out at the keys and hitting the note she wanted. Then we all gathered around her as she sat and read her poem about her "Busy Bee Dad". She fumbled a few words but we recorded it as it was in one take because the moment was magic.

She was so proud of her songs and when she heard the finished product, she was absolutely excited with her family and proceeded to give copies out to anyone and everyone.

When she was 92, she suffered a stroke that confined her to bed with a paralyzed left side. No more piano. We must have played her c.d. a thousand times and she would close her eyes and nod her head to the music and wave her right hand in time to the music. This gave her great joy and we played it for her as often as she requested.

We loved Mom very well through her life and we showered her with love and attention in the last time of her life. She was a wonderful human being and she loved GOD and is with him in his kingdom in a healthy young body that feels no pain. We Rejoice.

I am posting a link to her songs and poem for any of you to hear. Remember, this was recorded, mixed and burned in one night. I later added a few things but for the most part, what you hear is what was done in a few hours.

Enjoy the songs of Margaret.

Margaret Sabourin Freedman

Domvac

I lost my mom when she rolled a quad at the age of 76. I couldn't believe it. Turned out she loved to ride the damn things.

Sucks. We move on. God bless.

Dude I am so sorry. Praise the Lord that she is in heaven now though :) Listened to all the recordings and your mom sounded like one cool lady!

What an awesome tribute to your mom. I listened to all of the recordings, and I was touched to the point of crying. I feel like I know her (and her Busy Bee Dad!). I'm honored to have shared a bit of her soul. Thanks for that, and God's peace to you as you part with her. But know this--you're only parting with her in this life. You'll see her again...

Thanks all for the condolences. My whole family is immensely proud of Mom. She was an exceptional person and she retained her "little girl" wonder throughout her life. She was a joy and I am exceedingly proud to be her son.

Thanks all.

Blessed you were(still are with all the great memories made) to have such a loving and full of joy mom. While I am sad you must wait a while to see her again, I am happy to know one day you most certainly will.

Domvac,

Your mom sounds like she was a genuine treasure who will always remain in your heart and soul.

My mom was also very musically inclined and I will always remember her voice and her spirit. She passed away 21 years ago on Jan. 25th. Maybe they'll hook up for a duet up there?! :)

Cheers! :)

Sorry about your loss. Your mother sounds like an amazing women. I hope you and your family find some kind of peace during this difficult time.

Thanks to all. We had Moms' memorial on Sat. morning and it was incredible. Family sang and played tributes and during the open mike portion, people came up to speak and tell stories of memories of Mom. There were so many coming up, after about 40 minutes, we had to apologize to the remainder wanting to come up and closed the mic. We were running long and they needed the room for the afternoon. There were about 200 people attending. I feel exhausted. Closure is good but now we have to deal with the reality of not having her with us. Bummer.

Back