module vs workstation

Botinok

what are the benifits/dissadvantegs between a module and an actual keyboard like the triton..it would seem that a module + cheap midi keyboard would be cheaper...

any thoughts?

thanks!

Very little, in my opinion, assuming that the controller of choice can provide you with the degree of control your module requires. The thing to keep in mind is that the keyboard of a workstation is designed to control its internal module, while a dedicated controller is designed to be generic. So, generally you would have work to do to customize the controller's settings to match the level of integration that a DAW has with its keyboard.

That said, the vast majority of my synths and samplers are modules, and my main controller is a StudioLogic.

but would i be able to just use all the effects and everything with my mouse through my DAW, and just use the control for actually playing the keys?

You can control both the keyboard and the rack version from ANY control source, whether that control source is a keyboard, a computer, or some other type of controller, ASSUMING THAT THE CONTROLLER YOU ARE USING SUPPORTS THE CONTROL PARAMETERS OF THE SYNTH. In your case, you want to use the computer as a controller. Sure, that'll work, but YOU have to do the work to map the controll parameters. Or you could find someone that has developed a control surgface for your synth or the like.

The point is, just what does it mean to "use all the effects and everything with my mouse through my DAW"?

Botinok said:
but would i be able to just use all the effects and everything with my mouse through my DAW, and just use the control for actually playing the keys?

Back