Module v Software

Jack Hammer

I would guess that many of you might have an opinion on this subject. For a few weeks I have been considering purchasing a MOTIF module. I listened to the sounds, did some comparison listening etc.

The MOTIF seems to excel in the department of real instrument emulation. The horns, winds etc. are quite good. The electric pianos very good and acoustic pianos quite good as well.

In contemplating the need for the MOTIF, I reasoned that I have many of the same type of sounds covered by both a Korg Karma that has the same sounds as a Triton and an EMU sampler in which I can load any compatible samples and, certainly this includs myriad real instrument emulations good examples of which I presently own.

So here is the BIG question: Redcently, such libraries as Giga etc. have taken the forefront in the real instrument emulation department. In fact, I neglected to mention that i also have the Kontakt program which is a soft sampler for Mac. Had I had a PC, I would certainly have gone for Giga becuase of the available libraries. But, such notable libraries as Garritan claim they are working on a Kontakt version and Kontakt claims that it can play Gig samples. On the other hand, if neither of those things hold true, there is always the Mach 5 sampler that claims to be able to play any library on a Mac. I could then save the extra money for both more libraries, better libraries and, ultimately, a computer upgrade. I currently have a G4 with a 733 processor. Dual 1.25s would be nice, particularly if I want to run more soft instruments and/or alot of instances of Giga or Garritan or what have you.

So, having given that exhastive explanation, if anyone is still reading this and has an opinion, what is it.

I've always been more of a fan of hardware vs. software - in part because I'm an old dinosaur and in part because I'm a gigging musician (as well as a home recorder) and I want gear I can throw in a road case and haul to a scuzzy, smokey bar. Since I already was committed to hardware (before all the software options became available), I decided not to start all over with sofware (other than recording software)

However, if I were starting out (and if I was only recording - not gigging) I'm sure I would get a couple of computers and load them with every program I could get my hands on. My studio would take up a 5' x 5' area (vs. half my basement for recording gear - and the other half for gigging gear, the gear I no longer use and/or empty road cases).

Gear slut, huh? Well, I'll tell you, what happened was that in the meantime, Motu came out with the 24 i/o that operates at 96 khz, so I got that. Then, I decided I needed a great microphone, one greate microphone, so I got a Soundelux E47. Then I got the Spectrasonics Stylus plug in and a Korg Kaoss pad. So, the answer is no, I no longer had the money for it and it had lost some of its appeal. I could not see spending that much on a monophonic suynth.

Now, I am somewhat happy I did not get the Voyager becuase Arturia has a soft version of the Moog Modular that is endorsed by Moog and reportedlly nails the sound while providing some absurd amount of polyphony.

Lastly, I recently got involved with a project for a musician that plays in a very well known band and with a number of very well known musicians. I cannot mention names right now due to sensitive contract issues. Nevertheless, I am producing an album for this person, actually, I am the "executive producer". Once the deal is closed and I recoup my money, I will be in a better position to decide whether or not I need such a synth. The answer, however, is more than likely no. I have decided that as much as I like the Motif and as much as I like the voyager, these are not really very important towards my ultimate goals since I have nearly any sound I could want already and then some. What I need to do is learn the synths that I do have better. They should provide another five years, easily, of discovery and creativity.

Also, if I really were to add more hardware, I would probably have to give a roland module consideration. I have not had a Roland since I owned a Super Jupiter and sold it for peanuts. I would seriously consider that V synth.

You may have already noticed that tow of the three synths I have my eye on have XY touch pads and that I have, as a substitute, purchsed the Korg Kaoss. Thus I got the XY capabilities for all my synths without spending two or three thousand.

I hope, if nothing else, this will dispell any silly notions that I am a "gear slut". I am not a slut.

I have a kaoss pad... It's pretty cool to add to any synth. Do you have KP1 or kp2? 2 is cool as fuck... But I've been denying myself "things" (gear) lately, so I don't have it. But the built in synth and rythym patches are nothing short of really cool as far as I could tell.

OK... Maybe your not a gear slut. But you must be some "gear pimp's" bitch right?;) :D

Either way, you do have a lotta cool shit...

a/k/a Jack Hammer...

Its the Kaoss KP2 and yeah, its really cool. I have been messing with it with the Karma since I got the Karma MW computer program. The thing is, I go so much too learn to use all this s*#t (hows that for politically correct) that I will be happy for years to come.

AND...I'm nobodies bitch! I'm just me, nothing more, nothing less, no bitch, hoe or slut. But I do have cool stuff but hell, I worked hard for that stuff. Now I just need someone to pay me alot of money to stay home and fiddle with it all.

OH yeah, I have just gone into gear denial myself due to a down turn in business though I am working to remedy that. Right now I am having gear withdrawal. You know, its really cool to look in gear mags and think, yeah, I could have that if I want but, nah, I don't need it as oppsed to, damn, wish I could afford that. The latter, of course, is the reality if not before, certainly now.

Go with the hardware if you have the space for it, 733 is not enough to run something like DP3 and Kontakt - I use both on a Dual Gig and still would like to move into hardware sampler. Sampling can never sound as good as a real instrument -ask any player they will tell you that the layering or samples is not the same thing - to a listener it's maybe unnoticeable, but to a musician it is.

Yeah Phil, forgot about that one. That was on yet another work computer however, that one is gone.'

As for the 733 not being enough to run DP3 and Kontakt, it depends on the number of instances I guess since I have done it. Still, I have thought about not getting any further hardware instruments and holding off until I can add another computer. A dual gig model, put in OSX, DP4, and use the 733 machine only for sfot synths and samplers.

This is probably the best solution. The main reason I am not hot on this is because there are not that many programs written for Kontakt. I am aware that Kontakt claims to play many other platforms but experience tells me that the claims of a product and the reality might be a bit different. Therefore, becuase some of the better sample libraries are expensive and written mostly for Giga, I have held off pending some solid information on what words and what does not.

In the meantime, when the orchestration work starts to bear fruit, I probably will have no choice but to load a PC with Giga.

Back