Module control question...

Brahmb

Hey. Just a question about modules and how they're controlled...

Is it possible to control a module with more than one keyboard? For example, if a module had more than one midi in, could it be controlled by two keyboards (resulting in a kind of organ keyboard effect where both keyboards would have full range of their instrument sounds, as opposed to a split keyboard). I haven't worked much with Midi, but this seems possible...

I'm no expert, but I would assume so, you jsut have to make sure that the modules and the controllers are set to match.

Yes, it is possible if the module has dual midi. I own a Roland XV-5080 which has dual midi, and it comes in handy sometimes. I just did a show where I used two keyboards hooked up to the two inputs of the 5080. The great thing is that patches could be called up independently from either keyboard, but since it was all coming from one box I could do all the programming just once in the 5080.

The Proteus 2000 has dual midi, and that box is going super cheap on eBay these days. If you want to get into dual midi, that would probably be the least expensive way to get a synth that has the capability. The great thing about dual midi is that it really is like getting two synths in one box.

I think a midi merge unit would do the same thing, no?

I use 2 different controllers, all with different touches - a StudioLogic for piano action, and a synth for synth action. I just merge the midi inputs in my old MIDI control station and all is good.

A midi merge unit would do something similar if the module has a multitimbral mode. So if the module receives on two or more different channels you could do that. My experience is that there is a little more risk of hung notes or other oddities doing it that way, especially if the midi data stream gets really busy with all sorts of controller information.

SonicAlbert hit it on the head regarding a MIDI merger, much more potentail for stuck notes and false triggering.

I don't know the engineering brilliance of MIDI, but I do know that a module with duo MIDI in is designed to accept two controllers, whereas a module with one in is designed to accept one controller (with signals coming in on multi channels) - but with a neavy MIDI stream coming in thru one input, that can be too many MIDI start and stop commands for a module to respond to.

Back