modding a MIM strat

cstockdale

supafly killa homey
I was fiddling at a guitar shop, and tried out one of hte new American Deluxe Strats and Teles, and those SCN pickups with the S1 switching are the shiznit man. But for $1500 (CDN) that gorgeous tone doesn't come cheap.

I am very happy with the feel of my MIM strat, so a pup swap might work okay to get close to that tone.

Anyone know how easy/if possible it is to mod my MIM strat to put those new pups in, and to install s1 switching?

The actual labor involved is no more difficult than any other electronics mod. What I don't know, because I haven't tried yet, is whether or not they will even sell the parts for this purpose. Fender is usually pretty good about this, but I just don't know. I have one of the pots lying around the shop, because they sent me a second one by mistake, but that was a warranty repair.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

i just bought myself one of those American Deluxe Tele's and it is wonderful. i use the S1 switch all the time.

it pretty much just changes the pickup wiring between parallel and series so it shouldn't be hard to mod an older Fender to do the same thing (if you can get the same pot).

you might have to ask a local repair shop to order the part for you as a non-warranty part. i haven't seen them for sale anywhere.

Back