Mod Trap vs Vox Guard

mr manchester

So, after doing much reading of forums and checking of bank balances, at this point in time I can't afford to buy bass traps and have zero skill in the carpentry department to make my own. But, I can afford to buy a microphone isolation panel, which should make considerable difference.

I'd like to get an idea from people who have used one or other, what their thoughts are on the Mod Trap and the Primacoustic Vox Guard. As far as usability and flexibility, the Mod Trap looks to be the best, but I wonder if it suffers from not having the wrap around effect of the Vox Guard. Any thoughts welcomed.

My brother lives round the corner from you in Westminster! I'm using the Se Reflection Filter Pro... I know it came in for a fair bit of abuse on here but I like it, I can't be bothered to do any treatmet to my room as I use it as a study as well as my recording space and am quite sceptical as to the merits of room treatment...
The Se definately made my vocal recordings easier to work with and helped when I was recording guitar at the same time. It was a fiddle to set up and I eventually didn't use all the bits that came with it... but I use it all the time now.

If the microphone is just for vocals, maybe you can try a nice high quality dynamic mic like the RE-20. You won't need a filter, and it won't pick up much room at all. Proximity effect is almost nil, and I use it with live monitoring instead of headphones. Think about that. It's like sex without a condom.

RE-20 is by far my favorite vocal microphone.

thanks for the replies, I'll look into that mic.
After doing a lot of reading and realizing that I should treat my room acoustically, I also knew I wasn't going to do that yet, so these other ideas are worth pursuing first.

If the microphone is just for vocals, maybe you can try a nice high quality dynamic mic like the RE-20. You won't need a filter, and it won't pick up much room at all. Proximity effect is almost nil, and I use it with live monitoring instead of headphones. Think about that. It's like sex without a condom.

RE-20 is by far my favorite vocal microphone.

HA HA HA ~ Close, real close to being a new signature line. :D

thanks for the replies, I'll look into that mic.
After doing a lot of reading and realizing that I should treat my room acoustically, I also knew I wasn't going to do that yet, so these other ideas are worth pursuing first.

How big is your room and what type of vocals are you recording?

While ideally we'd all like correctly treated rooms, practicalities take over in the "home" recording environment as we have to live there too... depending upon the room type / size / vocalist you may get acceptable results without needing to do anything...

I've never used one of the devices you're talking about and I'm a relative newbie to recording vocals, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt, but I couldn't record my band's singer with one because I need to see him and that's the direction of the gear, as I'm always "conducting" him and making sure he comes in and out at the same time... and I probably wouldn't like using one on my voice as I would find it difficult to summon up a good voice (quite a task for me) staring into the black void... plus I need to keep one eye on meters whilst I'm tracking...

Cheers

Back