Mobo help or the Hardware guru thread.

version2

Ok. Question.

I got my new system board last night. Rather than patiently waiting for my new case, I decided to rip into my Dell. I got the new board instlled into the Dell case. Flip the switch on the power strip and nothing. Hmph. So, I screw around with it for maybe 30 minutes reading every word of the docs. Everything looks right. So, I grab a gateway I have a into that. Same problem. No power.

My question. Do these 'assembly line' systems (Dell, Gateway, etc) have proprietary power supply connectors? That was my original thought...

The only thing I can think of is that your Dell may have some sort of "case is open so you'll get no power" thingy that isn't propery handeled. What model is it?

My Dell (Optiplex GX200) has a very odd mobo where all PCI slots are on a separate board, which slots into an "expansion card board slot" on the "main mobo". It also has some "case closed" sensor and I would be hesitant to put in a regular mobo in that case. (It wouldn't fit anyway because the backplate openings for PCI cards is turned 90 degrees.)

Really wierd and I wich I could spend some money on a new case/mobo/PSU

Well, it was dirt cheap and works fairly well.

/Ola

Outside shot, but make sure you have the soft-switch leads wired properly.

I built a DIY system a couple of months ago. Put all the parts together religiously. Pushed the power switch and... nothing.

I ended up tearing everything apart and reassembling. Two hours later, as I went to connect the leads for the power on switch, I realized I had reversed the two leads. Had I seen that earlier, I could have fixed the thing in 2 seconds rather than 2 hours.

BTW, my old Dell computer didn't have soft switching. So that could be the potential culprit as well, if your MOBO is soft-switched.

Well, I am not near my system right now. But, I think I just had a brainstorm. I dont remember ever shorting the jumper for cmos before powering up. I think that mobo ships with the cmos 'clear' shorted. If this is the case...then no wonder it wont boot up. *sigh*

The motherboard should not ship with the clear cmos shorted, I sure hope not because it may fry your board.

Don't short it out and boot up!

It sounds like the soft switch isn't hooked up properly like dachay2tnr said.

What type of motherboard?

Back